Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

elismcmillon58aaf898 Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 03, 2014 1:48:49 PM(UTC)
elismcmillon58aaf898

Groups: Registered

I am trying to help my Mom with place cards for my brother's rehearsal dinner using my new Expression 2. I saw the Cricut markers and ordered some. We ordered blank tent place cards in a color. What I'd like to do is use Cricut Craft Room to write guest names on a shape that I can overlay onto the blank tent place cards. So I'd use the marker to write the names and then switch the marker for the blade and cut out the shape.

My question is: can I have the cricut write the names or will it only outline the names? Is there a way to have it write them only? A certain font cartridge that I can use?

Any help is greatly appreciated! My handwriting sucks big time and I was really counting on the cricut doing all the work. :)
golfingrams986a1173 Online
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:52:32 PM(UTC)
golfingrams986a1173

Was thanked: 204 time(s) in 179 post(s)
I tried this on my Easter sign and it only outlined . I got cricut pens now and will try this week. Will let you know.
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:52:58 PM(UTC)
golfingrams986a1173

I tried my gel pens on a couple words and it did not even write it all, not impressed. Then I tried my cricut colors and it wrote it out like the word showed. I wish someone who has used the pens would lets us know. I got the holder from a different company, I am going to look for actual Cricut which I thought these were.
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:00:45 PM(UTC)
golfingrams986a1173

The text was in writing and not printed. I'm going to look for a good font cartridge.
I want to be able to write text on csrds I make.
elismcmillon58aaf898 Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 2:01:59 PM(UTC)
elismcmillon58aaf898

I just wanted to update what I've found that worked and what didn't. I purchased the Calligraphy cartridge to write the names for the place cards. When I used the Cricut Markers, it looked awful!! They are way too thick a point at 1.5mm for writing small words. So, since I only have a couple of days until the wedding now, I didn't have time to order an adapter for other fine point pens.

What I used today was Staples gel mini pens and a pencil grip as an adapter to make it the correct thickness for my circut to use. It worked well! It was a very fine 0.8mm pen and worked well to write the names. It does out line though, so it looks different than if you printed it on a traditional printer. In case my Mom wanted something thicker, I also tried a Sharpie Mini fine point with duct tape to make up the thickness needed to be the width of the circut holder. That also worked really well! It filled in the words, but still wrote small enough for the place cards.

I did have problems with it outlining the shape and then writing the word. Then when I want to only cut out the shape (not the word), I did a save as for the document, took out the words and had the cricut cut only the remaining shape. Please don't laugh at me! This is my first Cricut project. The problem is that it didn't cut out perfectly around the outlined shape, so it looks off.

My new solution is to use layers in Cricut Craft Room and I'll only cut one layer at a time, so I'll write the words (not outline the shape), then cut the shape out and it should stay centered. I'll try to upload an image of my completed project in case anyone else is interested in trying this. Below is a pic of the fine point gel pen versus the sharpie mini in the same font.

[img=https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8FRb-YKv6lidDhOYmhRTWppZHZjRHdUVUZMNGl4SFhWaDVv/edit?usp=sharing]Circut writing comparison[/img]
elismcmillon58aaf898 attached the following image(s):
photo(13).JPG