Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

thecupcakerynzfbe75a71 Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 08, 2014 12:51:02 AM(UTC)
thecupcakerynzfbe75a71

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I am totally lost. I am in New Zealand and keep reading differing positions on the Explore. I already have a Cricut Expression 2 and are considering a Cricut Explore. I dont understand what happens to the existing Cricut cartridges. The old ones that I have already purchased I imagine that these still work with the new machine, but then if you can use any image at all with the new machine, why would you still purchase cricut cartridges for your machine, or do you just buy images ongoing if you want to? The lack of information is pretty bad and I am scared to change over in case I cant get the help I need or get some clarity.

Can anyone please help me? Thanks in advance.
Narelle Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 08, 2014 1:12:32 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7858 time(s) in 3675 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thecupcakerynzfbe75a71 Go to Quoted Post
I am totally lost. I am in New Zealand and keep reading differing positions on the Explore. I already have a Cricut Expression 2 and are considering a Cricut Explore. I dont understand what happens to the existing Cricut cartridges. The old ones that I have already purchased I imagine that these still work with the new machine, but then if you can use any image at all with the new machine, why would you still purchase cricut cartridges for your machine, or do you just buy images ongoing if you want to? The lack of information is pretty bad and I am scared to change over in case I cant get the help I need or get some clarity.

Can anyone please help me? Thanks in advance.

The Explore can't be used as a standalone. It only works with the online Design Space program.

All Cricut cartridges (with the exception of the Imagine Art cartridges at this stage) will work with the Explore, however you will have to link them to your cricut.com account to be able to use them. There is a cartridge port on the Explore that is purely used for linking cartridges.

The Explore can cut from Cricut cartridges (both physical and digital) as well as pretty much any svg/dxf/bmp/jpg/png you care to import to the software.

Many people don't want to bother with those types of files but are happy to just use their cartridges. So the Explore is really the best of both worlds.

So long as you have great internet access that is. As the Design Space can only be used online, you'll want fast and plentiful download speeds. And I believe Windows XP isn't supported so your computer will need to have either Vista, Windows 7 or 8 or be a Mac.

I contacted the Australian distributor of the Cricut products and asked if/when they would be getting it. They said they will be getting it as soon as PC makes some available to them. They weren't looking until June or July at this stage. I would expect NZ to be similar. (Unless you're planning on buying direct from the US of course...)

If you don't have a lot of cartridges you also have the option of purchasing a subscription ($9.99US per month or $99.00US per month) which gives you full cutting access to all the non licensed carts/images in the library.

The one stumbling block though may be the difficulty for Australians & New Zealanders (as well as most of the rest of the world other than USA/Canada/UK) to purchase digital content.

thecupcakerynzfbe75a71 Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 08, 2014 2:57:12 AM(UTC)
thecupcakerynzfbe75a71

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks Narelle. So if I want to use jpeg images or png images of my own - I dont have to pay for these in the design space do I?? I have a number of cartridges and also digital cartridges, and have been able to buy directly from the states, so that has been good.

I just dont know whether its worth upgrading or whether to stay with my Expression 2 and work with cartridges, and digital cartridges?

Thanks for your explanation I do appreciate it.

What are you planning to do?

Kind regards
Margaret
 1 user thanked thecupcakerynzfbe75a71 for this useful post.
karen_johnson09 on 4/8/2014(UTC)
Narelle Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 08, 2014 3:35:04 AM(UTC)
Narelle

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7858 time(s) in 3675 post(s)
It costs nothing to use your own jpgs etc in Design Space.

If your E2 is cutting well for you I'd wait until we find out how much the Explore will be to buy at home. There's something to be said for having a warranty. (I did get my Imagine and E2 direct from the US. The Imagine works fine, but the USB port on my E2 is broken, and even having had the port replaced hasn't fixed the problem.)

I researched how much postage would be for me from the US for the Explore and it was A$120+

I definitely see one in my future (even though I have a silhouette cameo) just for the fact that it cuts so much better.

I'd like to see a lot of improvements in Design Space before I commit too.

Smile

Edited by user Tuesday, April 08, 2014 3:36:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Narelle for this useful post.
karen_johnson09 on 4/8/2014(UTC)