Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

13 Pages«<23456>»
golfingrams Offline
#91 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:21:05 AM(UTC)
golfingrams

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 358 time(s) in 317 post(s)
Checking in, Yenpeso and I have been communicating with each other. I am finishing up the ATC swap today to mail it to you Jean. I will start this in coming week in evenings. The worlds largest motorcycle rally will start and my house has to be spotless. Already vendors are setting up their tents or moving into buildings alland have su up and down main street. We have people who come and rent rooms or tent in back yard. I have very very cheap rates and that is why they come back every year. You can't find a room for 200 miles around SD - WYO. clear into MT - ND and NE. It's crazy. One camp ground is like a city - and have super big names concerts, vendors of all kinds. DH says they have 400,000. That is only one camp ground. Next year will be super crazy as it's the 75th. So I have to clean clean clean this week. We serve coffee rolls/muffins and fruit in mornings. Will have a big BBQ one night with my famous baked beans and potato salad. I say famous only because my dd and ddinlaw only like mine. Okay enough gab. Once rally starts you all should go on internet to look. I will send pictures of main st. before and after. Hugs - Patti
 3 users thanked golfingrams for this useful post.
LoriSjogren on 7/13/2014(UTC), NancyHjortness on 7/14/2014(UTC), JeanP on 7/14/2014(UTC)
LoriSjogren Offline
#92 Posted : Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:46:09 AM(UTC)
LoriSjogren

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2578 time(s) in 1526 post(s)
My partner and I have communicated and I have started my cuts. :-)
 1 user thanked LoriSjogren for this useful post.
NancyHjortness on 7/14/2014(UTC)
BCSQ Offline
#93 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 6:49:02 AM(UTC)
BCSQ

United States

Was thanked: 679 time(s) in 613 post(s)
I didn't get the cuts started like I had planned. I will get them done next week. If I can't find time this week.

Jen
CricutCutie Offline
#94 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 10:06:23 AM(UTC)
CricutCutie

United States

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 84 post(s)
I worked on my cuts this past weekend at the crop so now I just have to fine tune (make sure any extra glue is rubbed off) and then maybe decide if I'm going to narrow down which ones I send. Made myself a few copies for myself as well.

Charlene
NancyHjortness Offline
#95 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 10:42:24 AM(UTC)
NancyHjortness

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Hello Lori
Hope you have had a great week -----your Hello Kitty cuts are coming to life. Made some for myself too as they are pretty cute. Really messed up the first one I made untill I figured out you have to cut the outline out too ---then the pieces fit like a puzzle. I think I have the hang of it now ------stay cool Nancy
JeanP Offline
#96 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 1:41:20 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Was thanked: 922 time(s) in 747 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NancyHjortness Go to Quoted Post
Hello Lori
Hope you have had a great week -----your Hello Kitty cuts are coming to life. Made some for myself too as they are pretty cute. Really messed up the first one I made untill I figured out you have to cut the outline out too ---then the pieces fit like a puzzle. I think I have the hang of it now ------stay cool Nancy

I had some problems when I first started trying to cut and fit all the layers. It does take practice and sometimes extra paperBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

NancyHjortness Offline
#97 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 3:15:19 PM(UTC)
NancyHjortness

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Your so right about that. After I figured out you had to cut the out line out too and then put it on the blackout it all fit in place but my first one with out the outline was sure a mess.
golfingrams Offline
#98 Posted : Monday, July 14, 2014 6:15:34 PM(UTC)
golfingrams

Jean/Nancy - I hate to sound dumb but there is so much to learn. Had this for over 2 1/2 years but didn't start using more until this spring. I have not made many items using the layers so would you explain what you mean using the outline and the blackout?? I thought blackout was just a bigger layer if you wanted like a shadow. Oh so much to learn, I'm sure there are so many things I could learn to make using my Expression easier. I do love my machine. Hugs Patti
JeanP Offline
#99 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:16:18 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Originally Posted by: golfingrams986a1173 Go to Quoted Post
Jean/Nancy - I hate to sound dumb but there is so much to learn. Had this for over 2 1/2 years but didn't start using more until this spring. I have not made many items using the layers so would you explain what you mean using the outline and the blackout?? I thought blackout was just a bigger layer if you wanted like a shadow. Oh so much to learn, I'm sure there are so many things I could learn to make using my Expression easier. I do love my machine. Hugs Patti

I don't quite have the hang of layering yet myself and I have had this machine for a long time.
I am assuming that Nancy means Shadow when she says blackout.

One of the cuts I am making has 5 different layers plus the shadow. I really have NO idea how they go together!!!! I just have to look at the pictures in the book to assemble and hope I do it rightLOL LOL
I think I might go over to the CUT RAK forum and ask if there is a trick to assemble them. maybe you do each one in a certain orderBlushing
Catita Offline
#100 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:21:34 AM(UTC)
Catita

Was thanked: 211 time(s) in 156 post(s)
I feel your pain!!!! Some cuts have so many layers and sometimes it's hard to figure out where they go and HOW they go. Many times I end up google image searching the image/cut itself and looking at tons pictures of samples for help. On occasion, I'll find a tutorial that someone so nicely made knowing that it was a difficult cut to layer. The cartridge book itself is sometimes tricky to follow with the colors but I found actual pictures are a bit easier.

The outline layer seems to be the base image that goes on top of the shadow and you build all of your layers on top of the outline. Sometimes, it's not necessary to cut or use but I prefer using it as it gives my cuts a good foundation and makes them stronger and firmer.

Another thing I do.... and this might be totally anal retentive / OCD of me (but I'm admitting I have a problem, and that's the first step, right?) is ... as I'm peeling the layers off the mat I make a light pencil mark on the back top of each cut so that I know A) which is front/back B)which way it cut so that it layers perfectly. Sometimes my cuts get upside down or sideways and I spend quite a few minutes trying to figure out which is right side up. The pencil markings have helped.

Good luck and know that you're not alone in this struggle. LOL

Edited by user Tuesday, July 15, 2014 8:24:23 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Catita for this useful post.
Friend958 on 7/15/2014(UTC)
BCSQ Offline
#101 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:00:31 AM(UTC)
BCSQ

United States

I have my cuts all cut out I just have to assemble them now. Which I hope I can do on Friday.
JeanP Offline
#102 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:34:28 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

I asked about layering on the JLY CUT RAK forum and this is what I was told by CowgirlUp.
I will give it a try. You can tell which is base, base shift & layer1 and layer 1 shift by looking at the book. Hope this helpsBigGrin Depending on what I am assembling, I don't always use the shadow.

Thanks CowgirlupBigGrin

In many cases the images if cut in the order (base, base-shift, layer 1, layer 1-shift, so on) will assemble in that order, from Bottom to Top. However if two layers fit perfectly on top of each other as to have something like just eyes show through I will glue those 2 together before gluing to the base because its easier to line up. I always leave a shadow for last.

Edited by user Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:37:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kazalah Offline
#103 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:49:33 AM(UTC)
Kazalah

United States

Was thanked: 621 time(s) in 264 post(s)
I just want to say for the record... I hate layers Glare Ok not all layers but anything more than 4 or 5 TOPS! I know they give your cuts dimension and everything but the more layers they have the more of a pain in the butt it is to put together ! I tend to stay away from doing any cuts that take more than that and especially if I have to make multiples Cursing

Now that my little rant is over Laugh I got a few more cuts done ( doing multiples so I have some extra for myself)

Lori
JeanP Offline
#104 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:31:53 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Originally Posted by: Kazalah Go to Quoted Post
I just want to say for the record... I hate layers Glare Ok not all layers but anything more than 4 or 5 TOPS! I know they give your cuts dimension and everything but the more layers they have the more of a pain in the butt it is to put together ! I tend to stay away from doing any cuts that take more than that and especially if I have to make multiples Cursing

Now that my little rant is over Laugh I got a few more cuts done ( doing multiples so I have some extra for myself)

Lori

I hope you tired at least one more complicated one just to show that you can do itBigGrin BigGrin

Kazalah Offline
#105 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:50:27 PM(UTC)
Kazalah

United States

Originally Posted by: JeanP Go to Quoted Post
I hope you tired at least one more complicated one just to show that you can do itBigGrin BigGrin

Jean,

I did a few Snow White cuts for my partner ( 2 different kind )and was contemplating a Buzz Lightyear or a Woody then counted the layers ( about 13 ) and fell out of my chair. I'm alright but I am so not attempting those today Laugh Maybe tomorrow will be soon enough Wink

Lori
CricutNat* Offline
#106 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:28:30 PM(UTC)
CricutNat*

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Hi All - JCI - I know my partner, ScrappinGwen, is or is about to be on vacation so have a great time! I'm finishing up my owed cuts from the June RAK and then I'll be getting busy with this fun swap! I want to use all of the cartridges and send stuff, but I won't! (maybe)

CricutNat
MaureenSala Offline
#107 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:44:17 PM(UTC)
MaureenSala

Was thanked: 283 time(s) in 234 post(s)
Checking in. Just PMd my partner.

Ready to start cutting as soon as I recooperate from this last weeks camping trip to Oregon. What beautiful weather and scenery in the middle of the state

Blackout is not a shadow. It is a regular sized cut that is solid. For example, the letter b, when cut regular, would have a hole in the middle. When cut as a shadow, it would be solid, without the hole. I don't use blackout much, not really needed in most cuts. Shadow is just that, the background cut a little bigger than the rest of the cut. Shadow is usually not needed, but in a lot of cases makes the cut look nicer. In the b example, a shadow would be a little larger than the cut b and would have a hold in it.

Maureen
Merrie Jones Offline
#108 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:06:38 PM(UTC)
Merrie Jones

Was thanked: 922 time(s) in 336 post(s)
Jean,

I did a few Snow White cuts for my partner ( 2 different kind )and was contemplating a Buzz Lightyear or a Woody then counted the layers ( about 13 ) and fell out of my chair. I'm alright but I am so not attempting those today Laugh Maybe tomorrow will be soon enough Wink

Lori

OK Lori- forget about those 2. No way would I do something with that many layers!LOL And now I have an idea what 2 of my cuts will be.Wink I am working on my cuts and now I remember why I hate cutting glitter paper. I had one mat loaded up, did a 6 multi-cut on it, and still had to fussy cut some areas that did not go all the way thru. Some of the layers were 'delicate', the straight lines cut much better.Smile
JeanP Offline
#109 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:25:53 PM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Jean,

Lori

I have also done a few cuts with lots of pieces but find the bigger you can make them, the easier it is. When I did a Cinderella, I used markers for her face. Never mind those tiny pieces!!!!!

One of the cuts I just finished for this swap had 3 pieces as the base shift plus all the others. They ended up being layered in between each other!!!! I got it finally by looking at the pictures. The little things were easy enough to add at the end.

2 cuts done and assembled. 3rd one is partially done and I have to design the other 2 with my Design studio. Not sure which cut is the one I want to use special paper on so I am going to try a sample and see how I make out. At least then I will know which cut for which paper.

Once you do a few of these, they really aren't too bad. Just takes a little practiceBigGrin

mom2001scrapper Offline
#110 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:29:54 PM(UTC)
mom2001scrapper

United States

Was thanked: 201 time(s) in 192 post(s)
Just checking in! I have my cuts almost finished.
laurahunter Offline
#111 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 6:41:41 PM(UTC)
laurahunter

Was thanked: 334 time(s) in 312 post(s)
I just returned from a 12 day tour of the southwest finishing with a family reunion. We went to Albequerque, the Grand Canyon, Vegas, San Diego then to Tucson. Ended up traveling about 3600 miles in a vehicle with 7 people. I feel blessed to have spent time with my 96 year old Grandmother who is still living independently and is as sharp as a tack.

I have not started on this swap but have communicated with my partner. I too am going to cut duplicates for my own use.

Laura
Sumrbrez Offline
#112 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 3:30:05 AM(UTC)
Sumrbrez

United States

Was thanked: 267 time(s) in 249 post(s)
Mine are all layed out in my G - have 3 cut and assembled. Still tyring to narrow down from the original 16 LOL
Kazalah Offline
#113 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:20:00 AM(UTC)
Kazalah

United States

Merrie,

I'm still going to attempt on of those Toy Story cuts. I'll let you know if they turn out and if I still have any hair left after cutting them out LOL Wink I think it's worse when you're cutting card size because you're definitely limited to a smaller cut. But all I really do is make cards so.... I stick to carts with easy layers LOL

Lori
JeanP Offline
#114 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:25:34 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Originally Posted by: laurahunter Go to Quoted Post
I just returned from a 12 day tour of the southwest finishing with a family reunion. We went to Albequerque, the Grand Canyon, Vegas, San Diego then to Tucson. Ended up traveling about 3600 miles in a vehicle with 7 people. I feel blessed to have spent time with my 96 year old Grandmother who is still living independently and is as sharp as a tack.

I have not started on this swap but have communicated with my partner. I too am going to cut duplicates for my own use.

Laura

Sounds like a super trip!!!!!!!! I have been to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. Beautiful country out there. Pictures can't show you how awesome the grand canyon really is. You have to see it for yourself!!!!!! Hoping to get to Albuquerque someday to see the balloon festival.

JeanP Offline
#115 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 6:26:42 AM(UTC)
JeanP

United States

Thanks for the updates everyoneBigGrin
ScrappinGwen Offline
#116 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:12:08 AM(UTC)
ScrappinGwen

United States

Was thanked: 758 time(s) in 599 post(s)
I haven't started on this swap yet, but I did atleast dust off my cricut and use it this week, working on a baby shower project. So that's a start! lol

It did give me a yearning though to want to start working on this swap and play with those new untouched cartridges I've had sitting around. Just no time this week. My summer is way too busy this year for some reason.
 1 user thanked ScrappinGwen for this useful post.
JeanP on 7/17/2014(UTC)
ScrapyPiggy Offline
#117 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:21:20 PM(UTC)
ScrapyPiggy

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 182 post(s)
JCI have been in contact with my partner and know which cartridges she wants cuts from. Will be out of town this weekend and will get started on this next week after I come home.

This will be the first time I get to cut anything from this cartridge, purchased through e-bay after see some other cuts done I had asked for from an earlier monthly cut rak.
MOgoggingirl Offline
#118 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:49:09 PM(UTC)
MOgoggingirl

United States

Was thanked: 409 time(s) in 362 post(s)
I am planning on working on my cuts on Saturday. It is crop and scrapbooking day and I like to work on specific projects if I can. I want to try and work on some pictures too, but the cuts for IamBubbles=D first.BigGrin ThumpUp
golfingrams Offline
#119 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 8:38:26 PM(UTC)
golfingrams

JCI, Yenpeso and I have been in contact. I plan to start cutting tomorrow on hers. Have rally people coming soon so need to get things done here at home and also DD and SIL coming on 25th. They will be moving to Germany shortly after. Patti
BCSQ Offline
#120 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 6:44:09 AM(UTC)
BCSQ

United States

Ok I just got all of my cuts out together. I will mail them on the 1st.

Jen
 2 users thanked BCSQ for this useful post.
JeanP on 7/18/2014(UTC), mom2001scrapper on 7/18/2014(UTC)