Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Godot's Girl Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 2:26:30 AM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States
Location: Too far from the farm! MQ pg.13, #387; Circle MQ pg. 4, #98

Was thanked: 2982 time(s) in 1792 post(s)
Hello all! I asked this on Facebook, but wanted to post the question here as well, where there are so many wonderful experts. I have the Explore, and absolutely love it! I have gotten in to vinyl with a passion, and have so many ideas for more projects. I am doing great with the indoor and outdoor vinyl. However, the heat transfer vinyl is giving me fits! I have made several t-shirts and other fabric projects with htv. They look great, until they are washed. Then, on about 50% of my projects, parts of the design begin to lift off, particularly the letters. I wash everything beforehand, so that is not the problem. I am following the directions, and my iron gets pretty hot. My sweet husband has been researching these issues with me, and really feels he should get me a heat press. What do you all think? Do any of you have one? Do you like it, does it work, what brand? OR, do you have any suggestions on what I can try instead of buying the heat press? I know that we will have to spend around $200 for the press, but my husband thinks it will pay for itself quickly, since I am already making money doing shirts for our Tae Kwon Do club, Summer Theatre, and the marching and concert bands. Plus I have all my card customers I could market to, and as I put a signature on each product, I basically have free, walking, talking billboards for advertisement...lol! Any advice, suggestions, comments would be greatly appreciated. Blessings, GG.
Sherri Kay Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 3:10:35 AM(UTC)
Sherri Kay

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2413 time(s) in 2165 post(s)
When you wash your shirts, are you putting softener in the wash water? You are supposed to avoid softeners. Otherwise, I can't think of anything else that may be causing the lifting of the letters. Hope someone can help you with this issue. Smile
 1 user thanked Sherri Kay for this useful post.
Godot's Girl on 7/16/2014(UTC)
NJsharon Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 5:19:39 AM(UTC)
NJsharon

Was thanked: 409 time(s) in 248 post(s)
I make lots of shirts & did do them with an iron for a while, now have a heatpress.

Only things I can think of is, like previous posted said, did you use fabric softener? You have to avoid that with vinyl products. Did you pre-press the shirt to get the moisture out? What surface are you using to press down on with the iron? It has to be something very hard (NOT an ironing board as that has too much cushion), then put iron at highest setting & press down with all your body weight!

Having said all that. I still occasionally had problems with letters lifting when I used an iron. But have not had problems since getting a heat press.

I got the PowerPress from on Amazon. It does not come with instructions, but is super easy to use! I love it!

My latest thing is rhinestones on shirts now!

If you have any questions you can also always PM me or email me (NJsharon@hotmail.com) too, happy to help you out!
 1 user thanked NJsharon for this useful post.
6thprentontawnyowld26b3dd9 Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:39:46 AM(UTC)
6thprentontawnyowld26b3dd9

Was thanked: 99 time(s) in 93 post(s)
hi Godots girl
I HAVE DONE QUITE A FEW TSHIRTS AND I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING AT SOME OF THEM THE VINYL DOES SEEM TO COME OFF IN SOME CORNERS OF THE LETTERS I JUST COVER THEM WITH THE CLEAR PLASTIC BACKING THAT THE VINYL COMES WITH AND RE IORN . I TRY TO MAKE SYRE THAT WHEN I WASH THE ITEMS THAT THEY ARE TURNED INSIDE OUT AS THEN THE VINYL IS NOT BEING RUBBED AGAINST ANYTHING ELSE IN THE WASHING MACHINE . I GET MY VINYL FROM A PLACE CALLED MDP VINYL THEY DO ALL SORTS OF OTHER ITEMS IN VINYL AS WELL . I WILL HAVE A LOOK IF IT SAYS ANYTHING ELSE ON THERE THAT MIGHT HELP . I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT WEATHER TO GET A HEAT PRESS SECOND HAND BUT THEY ARE GONING FOR SILLY PRICES SO I WILL KEEP ON IRONING FOR NOW . SORRY IT IS ALL IN CAPS DID NOT RELISE UNTILL I HAVE TYPED IT ALL . AS MY FRIEND WOULD SAY ARE YOU SHOUTING AT ME .
 1 user thanked 6thprentontawnyowld26b3dd9 for this useful post.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 7:46:53 AM(UTC)

HI GODOTS GIRL not sure if this will help but there is a lot of different instructions that you can look at

MDP Flex + and Hotflex +
Tumble
Dry
Dry
Clean
Hot
165°C 17 sec Peel Max 60°C
Certain MDP Flex and Hot Flex colours have different pressing settings due to the colour formulation. These are denoted by a ‘+’ in the
colour name. The + ranges are not designed to be layered on top of each other but they can be layered onto Hotflex.
MDP Flex +
Golden Yellow, Baby Pink, Azure Blue, Neon Green, Neon Orange, Neon Yellow, Neon Pink
Hot Flex +
Beige, Bright Orange, Tomato, Strawberry, Soft Pink, Fuchsia, Baby Blue, Sky Blue, Brilliant Blue, Royal Blue, Olive, Brown,
Light Grey, Dark Grey, Pure Silver and Pure Gold
 2 users thanked 6thprentontawnyowld26b3dd9 for this useful post.
Godot's Girl on 7/16/2014(UTC), Steelwillow on 7/16/2014(UTC)
PaperCraft65 Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:19:58 AM(UTC)
PaperCraft65

Was thanked: 172 time(s) in 104 post(s)
You can actually have your iron too hot. I use the cotton setting, but not as hot as it will go. The vinyl will shrink.

You need to press it on a hard surface, not your ironing board. I like to use a cookie sheet underneath to reflect the heat back up. I use parchment paper over the top so the iron slides smoothly.

PRESSURE! You have to press down hard - this is why the padded ironing board doesn't work that well.

I actually have pretty decent luck with it, but I don't do a ton, and I don't sell anything (too much involved with commercial licensing for fonts, etc. - ugh!)

If you have something lifting up - re-press with the parchment paper over the top.
NJsharon Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 9:44:25 AM(UTC)
NJsharon

Was thanked: 409 time(s) in 248 post(s)
You should also not slide the iron, like in an ironing motion. Rather press down with lots of pressure. Raise it, move to next spot, press down again with lots of pressure etc.

Good luck, but if you have the money then invest in a heat press. It is sooo much easier having a heat press!
 1 user thanked NJsharon for this useful post.
Godot's Girl on 7/18/2014(UTC)
Godot's Girl Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:57:35 AM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

United States

Thank you for all the wonderful comments and advice. I do not use fabric softener. My husband and two of my boys are allergic to so many detergents, that it is just easier not to use extra stuff in the wash. I do wash the shirts inside out, and have started washing on the delicate cycle or by hand. Not really wanting to have my customers have to do this though, as people are less likely to purchase something with which they have to take such care. I am ironing on a piece of smooth both sides plywood wrapped in aluminum foil to radiate the heat. I have been both pressing and "ironing", so I will be sure just to press from now on. The presses my husband has been looking at are between $175 and $250...a chunk of change, but not out of our price range if it will improve the process. I have had several in that price range suggested to me by owners in a Facebook group to which I belong. It will take a bit of saving, but is something I can use for my business, so I have that going for me. I have yet to offer anything for sale, despite being asked just about every time I or my boys wear something I have made. I have told everyone so far I am still "ironing out" the process...pun intended. However, I do not want interest to diminish, so am very motivated to solve this problem. I am so glad, on the other hand, that I did not jump the gun and start selling items before discovering this problem. Thanks again for all your advice. If any one has any more suggestions or have a press they are in love with, please post. Blessings, GG.
Crafting grandma Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:12:39 PM(UTC)
Crafting grandma

Was thanked: 105 time(s) in 75 post(s)
So good to see you posting again Smile
 1 user thanked Crafting grandma for this useful post.
Godot's Girl Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 1:58:43 PM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

United States

Thanks craftingGrandma...I was just having some computer issues! GG
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:05:09 PM(UTC)

hot flex

Suitable for Polyester and Cotton.
Single Sided Colours
A few colours,
Depending
on accuracy of the application temperature the single sided colours may need to be left to cool slightly before peeling back the release
liner.
ie fluorescents, are single sided. These have a higher pigmentation and a result of this is there is less surface tension so
layering a colour onto these can cause issues when washed (this does not effect them being layered onto other colours
Certain MDP Flex and Hot Flex colours have different pressing settings due to the colour formulation. These are denoted by a ‘+’ in the
colour name. The + ranges are not designed to be layered on top of each other but they can be layered onto Hotflex.
MDP Flex +
Golden Yellow, Baby Pink, Azure Blue, Neon Green, Neon Orange, Neon Yellow, Neon Pink
Hot Flex +
Beige, Bright Orange, Tomato, Strawberry, Soft Pink, Fuchsia, Baby Blue, Sky Blue, Brilliant Blue, Royal Blue, Olive, Brown,
Light Grey, Dark Grey, Pure Silver and Pure Gold
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:08:20 PM(UTC)

hi godots girl here is the email address for the company that I get my vinyl from in the uk . if you have any questions they are great at answering things it might be worth an email to see what they say is best on the machines out at the moment .
Godot's Girl Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 8:21:46 AM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

United States

Don't see the email address...
dianekielman6157016f4e Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 9:51:08 AM(UTC)
dianekielman6157016f4e

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I love Expressions Vinyl HTV and I have a Fancierstudio Heat Press I got on Amazon and love it! It was only $239.00 which was very affordable. I have another brand machine I have been cutting with, but yesterday I ordered a Cricut Explore and decided to give it a chance. I wanted to do lots of research before buying yet another machine lol. A fellow blogger told me to take the leap again lol.
 1 user thanked dianekielman6157016f4e for this useful post.
Godot's Girl on 7/19/2014(UTC)
Godot's Girl Offline
#15 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 3:33:07 AM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

United States

Hi Diane...I see you are new to the MB, so WELCOME!!! Thank you for your response. We have been looking on Amazon, so I will look for that machine. GG
#16 Posted : Saturday, July 19, 2014 11:54:21 AM(UTC)

sorry Godots Girl
email attached now 0151 334 2300
Int Tel +44 151 334 2300
Email bromborough@mdpsupplies.co.uk
hope this helps you
Godot's Girl on 7/19/2014(UTC)