Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

hjhofman58af5914 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 6:36:38 AM(UTC)
hjhofman58af5914

Groups: Registered

My principal would like to put sight words down the Kinder-First grade hallway. I have not used vinyl before on my Cricut and have questions.
1. What vinyl should I use to create a quality look and yet is economical for this project?
2. Is there a way to not have to type each word...I started to research this awhile back and wasn't sure? Connecting to the computer...etc. I don't use my Cricut as often as I'd like and am not as versed in these things :).
3. Any other tips you have for this project?

Thank you!
Heather
birkstu56 Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 16, 2014 5:22:33 PM(UTC)
birkstu56

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Wish I could help you, but I don't know what to tell you. I am interested in seeing if anyone can give you some ideas. Sounds like a great idea.
1SuiteLady Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:39:51 AM(UTC)
1SuiteLady

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I have only used vinyl once a few days ago to put names on my canisters. I used the Provo Craft Vinyl BUT had read several posts to go to places like Amazon.com to find Vinyl a whole lot cheaper. You can do a simple search for "3 mil prepositional vinyl" and check some sites for their prices.

You only get 2 sheets of vinyl that fit a 12" X 24" mat from (Cricut) Provo Craft...
If you order elsewhere, you may have to cut the vinyl to size your mat, and be sure it's repositionable (some are permanent).

You would want to type the word out because using vinyl you need to pull away all but the letters, apply the transfer tape to the words (which makes them reversed, so you can keep them properly aligned when applying to the wall.

I question why make them in vinyl? A laminated cardstock word would work well and be more cost efficient. I made my daughter some Sesame Characters, each holding Punctuation Signs, that were laminated. She put some double sided tape on them and stuck them on the wall and there they stayed until the end of the school year when she simply pulled them off and packed them away for the summer.
Khrista Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 11:04:19 PM(UTC)
Khrista

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 2510 time(s) in 1398 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hjhofman58af5914 Go to Quoted Post
My principal would like to put sight words down the Kinder-First grade hallway. I have not used vinyl before on my Cricut and have questions.
1. What vinyl should I use to create a quality look and yet is economical for this project?
2. Is there a way to not have to type each word...I started to research this awhile back and wasn't sure? Connecting to the computer...etc. I don't use my Cricut as often as I'd like and am not as versed in these things :).
3. Any other tips you have for this project?

Thank you!
Heather

Might be too late, but for future if you didn't get this info:

1. You want a vinyl that will be able to come off so make sure you get interior vinyl. NOT outside vinyl (plus outside costs more). Much harder to take outside off of a wall.

2. Not type each word. Unfortunately no. If you have an Explore, then *maybe* you might be able to upload something. It has the ability for you to upload images.

3. If you have a place in the area that makes signs, stop and ask them if they have scraps they'd be willing to donate to a school. Tell them what you're doing. They may just donate vinyl to you. They often have scraps that are too small for them, but perfect for crafters.

I order vinyl from here: http://www.expressionsvinyl.com/ It'd be worth giving them a call to see if they would do any type of discount for you. If this is still an interest for you, let me know as I often get a monthly discount code from them. Just send me a PM.

You may also be able to get an educator discount through Cricut. I know Silhouette does one and at one point I think Provo did too but it's been a long time since I've looked at that.

Hope that helps! Sounds like a great project :) I used vinyl when I was still in a classroom (admin now) for quotes on the wall. It worked great.

:)Khrista