Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Susan Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:17:36 PM(UTC)
Susan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm a new Cricut user, and have been having trouble cutting the intricate images from this cartridge. I have the paper/pressure/thickness guide from Above Rubies, but still have had trouble cutting shapes like the witch on her broom. The blade starts to snag around the broom straw and the more delicate parts (though the filagree on the moon worked out fine). I've tried different sizes - 1" and 5". I'm using standard cardstock - a DCWV plain cardstock pack, so it's not the issues with textured cardstock others have had.

I've cut the same cardstock using the Winter Woodland cartridge and had no problems.

Thanks for your help.
 1 user thanked Susan for this useful post.
Sitnknitn on 11/5/2010(UTC)
dansgg Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 6:28:13 PM(UTC)
dansgg

Was thanked: 270 time(s) in 228 post(s)
Just yesterday I bought this cartridge & have plans too use it tomorrow to make some fun stuff. I will try to cut the witch tomorrow morning & let you know if I have trouble.
Could it be that the speed is set too high or you need a new blade???
Anyway I'll let you know how my cuts turn out.
Susan Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 5:30:36 AM(UTC)
Susan

It may be the speed - I should have written down each setting combination. Right now it's on 6 blade, 5 pressure and 5 speed. I think I had tried both slow and fast speeds... what would you suggest for detailed designs?

I hope it's not the blade... this Cricuit has been turned on 3 times, and has probaly had the paper loaded/cut about 15-20 times ( I did make several buildings from the Winter Woodland cartridge - they cut beautifully and had some little pieces, but had more straight lines).

I'm using the Cricut Create, so it's the little guy.

Thanks.
DebbieShawgo Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 4:23:08 PM(UTC)
DebbieShawgo

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I had similar problems with cutting the turkey with the flourish. I was cutting it in 2 inch and it always snagged the paper around the small flourish part. I tried all types and thickness of papers including "Stampin' UP" cardstock and it never would work. I hope someone posts an answer on here to solve all of our problems. Or maybe it is that some images just can't be cut small.....
 1 user thanked DebbieShawgo for this useful post.
Sitnknitn on 11/5/2010(UTC)
BethLee1 Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 1:29:49 PM(UTC)
BethLee1

I've only cut larger images with this cartridge, so didn't have a problem, but I found today while using the botanicals that the speed made a huge difference...I put it on 1 (min) and it cut the intricate bits much better. I have the little bug.
 1 user thanked BethLee1 for this useful post.
JenniferEarley on 11/16/2010(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 2:43:56 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 801 time(s) in 451 post(s)
Last month I did a RAK from this Cart, my cricut sister wanted Happy Valentines, Happy Birthday, Happy Halloween, and Merry Christmas. CWF wasn't even in the gypsy library, so I couldn't test size them to make them cut 4-5" long, as she requested, I had to do trial cuts.

I found that DCWV card stock will not cut intricate images, no matter how I set my bug. I increased the blade depth and pressure, and decreased the speed and it got better but still wouldn't cut cleanly. I tried a new mat, because my card started slipping off and the blade wasn't cutting anything at all. I tried a new mat, and it worked better, but ....

No matter what I did, the DCWV card stock proved too thick to cut these intricate designs.

Now, I am no experienced cricutter here. I just started playing with my bug (the baby) in June, and didn't actually get into production work until I discovered the Cuts RAK run by grandmaj. But I did try varying everything, and this is the best combo I came up with for intricate designs (I tried a bunch of snowflakes from "When it's Cold Outside", too).

med high pressure - 4
blade depth - 5 or 6, depending on your card stock, use the lowest setting you can
speed - slow! - 1
Press your paper/card stock really hard onto your mat (I use the heel of my hand pressing down the length of my thigh because if it's a flat surface in our house I've piled something on it, and maybe the softness of my muscle working like a padded surface helped). Smooth the paper down the whole length of the mat.
Make sure your mat is pretty sticky. Not enough sticky on the mat, or not pressing it down hard enough, and your paper will release from the mat halfway through the cut and you will have a mess.
Even if your blade is relatively new, and sharp, try taking the housing out of its little holder and blowing away any lint, dust, tiny invisible paper scraps that might prevent a clean cut, and put it back in. If there are any nicks or dull spots on the blade, replace it. You can always replace the blade, put the safety cover on the blade you took out and if it turns out not to be the blade you can put it back in.
Most important - find a lighter weight of card stock. I had worn out my blade, but with a new blade, a new mat, slowing it down and keeping the pressure and depth medium-high, my best cuts were with - don't shoot me, please - CM card stock and - gasp! - Cricut card stock. DCWV card would not cut these intricate images no matter what I tried, it's just too thick.

Hope this helps ....Blink
 2 users thanked NotGoingGreyGracefully for this useful post.
DebraKimball on 1/5/2011(UTC), Eric's Kelalise on 3/7/2011(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, November 05, 2010 2:45:57 PM(UTC)
NotGoingGreyGracefully

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 801 time(s) in 451 post(s)
I cut the snowpeople and "let it snow" and Brrrr" from Winter Woodlands out of the DCWV card stock earlier the same day with no problems.
Aherlow Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2010 4:55:25 PM(UTC)
Aherlow

I have found that if I am cutting an intricate design I need to use a new blade, especially with Stampin' Up cardstock. I have one that I use only for intricate designs and swap it out when I know I will be cutting something that is more intricate. Then using Design Studio to cut, I have my pressure at 3, my speed at 2, my blade depth at 4 and use the multiple cut feature and cut it twice. When I do that, I have a very nice intricate cut with no snags.
 1 user thanked Aherlow for this useful post.
DebraKimball on 1/5/2011(UTC)
♥Carol♥ Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 22, 2010 8:18:37 AM(UTC)
♥Carol♥

Was thanked: 2765 time(s) in 2202 post(s)
For me, when I am cutting really incricate cuts, I've found that the best rule of thumb to follow is "a little lower, a little slower" ... meaning that I reduce my speed to at least medium ... reduce the pressure to medium, and even reduce my blade depth to about 4. Sometimes I need to do a multi-cut so that my images cut cleanly and completely, but these settings seem to work better for me.

Plus, the larger you can cut them, the better.
 1 user thanked ♥Carol♥ for this useful post.
DebraKimball on 1/5/2011(UTC)