Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

mrstruss Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:50:40 AM(UTC)
mrstruss

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hello All,

I am fairly new to the board and have been watching this thread. Could someone please share with me exactly how do these RAKS/swaps work? I would like to join one but not sure what is required. Thanks in advance for the explaination.
 2 users thanked mrstruss for this useful post.
arahbeth on 10/21/2010(UTC), Christie209 on 10/21/2010(UTC)
Lady Bug Fever Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:59:59 AM(UTC)
Lady Bug Fever

Was thanked: 141 time(s) in 122 post(s)
Welcome to the Swap area.LOL

The way they work is that someone (hostess) posts a swap and gives the guidelines and rules of the swap. You sign up for a spot, or more, that you would like to do. You make the required number of cuts, cards, recipe layouts etc. depending on what the swap is and then send it in to the hostess by the due date with a return envelope and enough postage to have it returned to you. She then separates everything, swaps it out, and then returns the items to each participant in the swap.

Really the best way to find out how they work is to just jump in and join one. One word of warning, they're addictive.

Hope this makes sense to you.
 1 user thanked Lady Bug Fever for this useful post.
Christie209 on 10/21/2010(UTC)
dreamer633 Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:33:48 PM(UTC)
dreamer633

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Hi,
Lady Bug Fever put it really well but I would advise joining something small/easy at first just so you know how things work. A good example is cut raks or swaps where you make so many of a cut from a cartridge or you grant wishes. Some card swaps are good also because they have small sized groups and may be a good way to start out. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions!
Christie209 Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 5:41:23 PM(UTC)
Christie209

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
dreamer633,
Thank you for asking the question. I was wondering too!l

And a big Thank you to Ladybug Fever. I really appreciate your explanation!!!BigGrin
EstherWheat Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:16:21 PM(UTC)
EstherWheat

Was thanked: 222 time(s) in 138 post(s)
I have only participated in a few swaps so far and have had tons of questions. I will will attempt to share some of the things that I have learned.

Your hostess will most likely be more than willing to help guide you along. I jumped into a huge 52 week swap and didn't even know what a lot of the things were and my hostess has been amazing. She has really given me some good pointers and has shared examples of things. It has been really fun to make something that I didn't even know existed before the swap!

If you are swapping with multiple items for one person make sure you bag them individually....what I mean is...if you have eight swappers in your group and you are making 4 flowers per person, then you need to send them in eight bags with 4 flowers in each bag. Not one bag with 32 flowers in it.

When choosing to participate in a swap remember that you will be paying postage there and back. You include the needed postage in the box that you are sending. Make sure that you use a box that will be OK to ship both ways. That way the hostess doesn't have to find a box for your return.

Make sure to thank your hostess. I try (unless I forget) to include a little "thank you" in the box...such as a sleeve of bling or something like that.

Keep touch on the message board so that everyone knows that you are active and working (or at least thinking) on the swap. You will see JCI on a post. This means "Just Checking In...nothing to report but I am still here!" When you ship you need to send your hostess the delivery confirmation number so that she can track if needed. Mail in plenty of time to meet the deadline. It is aggravating to have a swap end and the hostess has to "wait for just one more". If something horrible happens in your life and you aren't going to be able to fulfill your commitment to the swap let the hostess know asap so that she can try to find an angel to fill your spot. You will need to communicate with your hostess on this. You DON'T want to be labeled as a "flaker"...that is very bad! lol A flaker is someone who signs up and doesn't do her part. This is not the same as a person who has an emergency and communicates that to the group.

Jump in and do a swap. You will find that they are very addictive (as everyone has said) and you get to interact with some very amazing people and it broadens your perspective. You will see multiple ways people do the same thing and come up with very different twists on it. That is the fun part of the swap!

I will watch for you in a future swap!

1 user thanked EstherWheat for this useful post.
Serina's Altered Life on 11/24/2010(UTC)