Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

JohnMcNewton Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 23, 2010 9:15:59 PM(UTC)
JohnMcNewton

Groups: Registered

My wife and I would like to do some scrapbooking but think a laser engraver might actually be more versatile.

Has anyone owned both a cricut and laser cutter and which do you use more?
♥Carol♥ Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 5:31:58 AM(UTC)
♥Carol♥

Was thanked: 2765 time(s) in 2202 post(s)
Sorry John ... I have no info to share on this matter. I am a Cricut user and find it meets my crafting needs.
Doxieluv01 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 6:51:04 AM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Was thanked: 2263 time(s) in 1789 post(s)
John welcome to the boards. Sorry I don't have anything to add about laser cutters. I love my Cricut and use it ALL the time
~~L*I*N*D*A ^I~N^ C*O*L*O*R*A*D*O~~ Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 6:57:31 AM(UTC)
~~L*I*N*D*A ^I~N^ C*O*L*O*R*A*D*O~~

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 57 post(s)
JohnMcNewton wrote:
My wife and I would like to do some scrapbooking but think a laser engraver might actually be more versatile. Has anyone owned both a cricut and laser cutter and which do you use more?

The Cricut is awesome and MORE than suffient for a multitude of crafting needs LOL
Laser engravers are ridiculously expensive, have terrible product support after the sale and provide a significantly higher level of hazard for daily use. I've seen them in use and while I was impressed but I don't want one in my house. I would likely never use it.
Confused Confused Glare Glare
Frankly, I remember seeing similar posts on the old Cricut board and back then it was a (not so) slick way to introduce the concept of laser cutters as options over cricut cutters. yeah -- not okay.
If I'm right, here is what I really want to post.... I think that if I don't post it my head will pop. LOL

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Sooooo, both you AND your wife want to do some scrapbooking? Really? How convenient that you BOTH want to do it. You said you want to do "some" scrapbooking". Approximately how much scrapbooking did you want to do? How cool -- an entirely NEW hobby for you both? Woooooooow!! Boy did you happen to come to the right place and what a huge question for your VERY first post on the NEW Cricut Community Messageboard! How awesome! Glare LOL

Well,
1.I think that the EVERY single Cricut Cutter ever marketed is far more attractive than any laser engraver I've ever seen and Cricut is a far less intimidating tool.
2. To date, the Cricut is significantly cheaper than laser engravers.
3. Fnally and most importantly, I haven't found any message boards for laser engravers which have the audience, sense of community, level of support or opportunity for interlopers to hint at "competitive" product types on their dedicated sites.

I'm sure that some people on the Cricut Message board (aptly named CRICUT Community)Mellow Glare Glare may own laser engravers but you will likely find that most people here are die-hard Cricut fans.Drool Drool
Good luck in your choice and in getting the word out on engravers. Wink
If this is a genuine person with a genuine question (which I can't help but doubt)
you have come to the right place to learn how we use our bugs (bugs = cricuts) and how passionate we are about them. This is the place. We thoroughly enjoy our machines and love to share information on how we use them. If you want to investigate laser engravers you would be better off to search the web for user groups and reviews on laser engravers. Also make sure that you check on what happens should the laser engraver ever fail to operate or malfunction -- there is practically no support for them after the purchase and they become a VERY expensive paperweight/desktop.
Again, should this be a legitimate question -- since you suggested a laser engraver, consider the engraver for the garage/whole house projects and get a Cricut for her --oops -- I mean your SHARED scrapbooking/crafting/craft space. It will open up a world of options for all of that "scrapbooking" that you "both" want to do.
happy crafting... advertising... or whatever [bceg]

(whoooo-saaaaa) now I feel better...
 1 user thanked ~~L*I*N*D*A ^I~N^ C*O*L*O*R*A*D*O~~ for this useful post.
gcmcevoy on 10/24/2010(UTC)
scrapnfan Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 7:30:02 AM(UTC)
scrapnfan

Was thanked: 252 time(s) in 216 post(s)
I know friends who have both. The laser cutter hasn't been touched in a couple years. Both my friend and her husband enjoy using her Cricut.
rgoffinski09e75221 Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 10:04:17 AM(UTC)
rgoffinski09e75221

can the cricut mini or any other cricut device use freehand or other graphics or they must be patterns from cricut?
unregistered Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 10:29:27 AM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Quote:

can the cricut mini or any other cricut device use freehand or other graphics or they must be patterns from cricut?

No - All Provo Craft/Cricut machines are closed systems. They only cut using their own proprietary cartridges.

You would need to look at a different brand of cutter to cut your own designs and/or fonts.

scrapalette Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 10:49:52 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19164 time(s) in 8571 post(s)
I and lots of others, create my own designs all the time using the Cricut design programs. . .there are 2, Cricut Craft Room which is free, Design Studio which is the older program and a Gypsy which is a handheld program. You just use the design program to manipulate the cart images to make what you want.

You can't import an image and trace it into a cutting file, but you certainly can create your own cutting files.

unregistered Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 12:43:39 PM(UTC)
unregistered

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Quote:
but you certainly can create your own cutting files.

But you do have to use Cricut cartridges and/or the shapes that are available from the CCR. That isn't what rgoffinski09e75221 was referring to.

I have some some AMAZING things you guys have created. I am always impressed!!