Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Kate Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 3:03:51 PM(UTC)
Kate

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I used the markers to draw a 2" Happy Birthday from the Celebrations cartridge. Then I removed the marker, put the blade in, pressed load paper and then cut. The problem that I'm having is that the actual cut around the drawn words is off. Is there something that I'm doing wrong as this is my first time using the markers? Thank you.

Update: I went through the process of resetting my E and just tried again and the same thing happened -- drew the word, swapped marker for blade, hit load paper and then cut but the cut is off about 1/8". HELP PLEASE!!!

Edited by user Sunday, November 14, 2010 4:39:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

KateKelley Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 7:15:04 PM(UTC)
KateKelley

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I had the same issue with the Happy Birthday...if anybody has figured this out let us know!

Thanks,
Another Kate
Alla_S Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, November 15, 2010 5:43:21 PM(UTC)
Alla_S

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 52 post(s)
If you have Design Studio, there is an excellent tutorial on Glenda's Creative Place blog(Glenda's marker method) that helped me enormously. If you don't, try youtube for tutorials...I've seen some but can't remember where...hth
 2 users thanked Alla_S for this useful post.
Mrs.Warcup on 11/30/2010(UTC), maggieklein1 on 6/7/2011(UTC)
Kate Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 16, 2010 4:45:18 PM(UTC)
Kate

Thank you Alla S for the tip on watching Glenda's video. I don't have time to play tonight but will try tomorrow and post the results.
LinAnn Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 4:49:03 AM(UTC)
LinAnn

Was thanked: 440 time(s) in 300 post(s)
I had the same issue. I think it's because the blade housing and marker sit differently in the machine. I've found this an issue with both the marker holders and the cricut markers.
???? Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:35:48 PM(UTC)
????

Was thanked: 632 time(s) in 396 post(s)
Not a marker expert by any means, but have you tried drawing the words with the marker and then switching out the marker for the blade WITHOUT unloading the paper, then hit cut or repeat last? You may need to put scrap paper under the marker as you unload it - ask me how I know this Blushing

Hope this helps.
HisGem Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:38:28 PM(UTC)
HisGem

Was thanked: 486 time(s) in 334 post(s)
MichellePetersen2 wrote:
Not a marker expert by any means, but have you tried drawing the words with the marker and then switching out the marker for the blade WITHOUT unloading the paper, then hit cut or repeat last? You may need to put scrap paper under the marker as you unload it - ask me how I know this Blushing

Hope this helps.

A demonstrator actually said this how you do it and she also suggested cuttting the word first then use your markers so the paper isn't wet. Do not unload paper....

Edited by user Wednesday, November 17, 2010 1:39:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Kate Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:24:04 PM(UTC)
Kate

I've tried everything and still can't get it to line up. I've cut first and used the markers second; I've unloaded the paper and not unloaded the paper. I just can't seem to figure it out. Thanks to all for trying to help, I appreciate your input.
Izzy Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 28, 2010 9:09:58 AM(UTC)
Izzy

Was thanked: 314 time(s) in 232 post(s)
Haven't tried this technique yet but are you screwing both the markers and blade really firmly?...so that there isn't any wobble I mean...hth

Izzy
BoomerKnows Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:55:51 PM(UTC)
BoomerKnows

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
Canada

Was thanked: 1744 time(s) in 1186 post(s)
I found it works to cut first then draw. When changing the blade assembly for marker be verw vewy careful (BigGrin couldn't resist the bugs bunny slip, must be getting tired or somethin) where was I ? oh yeh, be careful to not move the harness thingy at all when swapping out. it could be scooting on you?
hth
sunflowerbug Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:26:12 PM(UTC)
sunflowerbug

Was thanked: 173 time(s) in 150 post(s)
This is how I do it. Do the drawing first,then hit load paper so it goes back to the beginning. Now switch to blade. I also put a piece of paper under the carriage like a safty net ;) Now hit repeat last cut. Good luck. If it still is off it could be that particular image is just off. Have you tried other images from other carts?
~Bridget~ Offline
#12 Posted : Monday, December 06, 2010 7:27:05 PM(UTC)
~Bridget~

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I recently began using the markers and did it just like Sunflowerbug. It worked great! Hope it helps!
♥Carol♥ Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, December 10, 2010 8:10:07 AM(UTC)
♥Carol♥

Was thanked: 2765 time(s) in 2202 post(s)
I don't know if this helps ... but this is what I do ...

1. Draw your image with the marker first, but DO NOT unload your paper.
2) Place a small piece of paper under the marker, then change the blade ... this will help protect your project from unwanted markings, just in case the marker slips a bit as you are changing to the blade ... then remove the paper after you have changed the blade.
3) Press your load paper button again. Remember, you did NOT unload your paper, pressing your load paper button again will take you back to the SAME starting point on your mat.
4) Press your "repeat last" button (one of the gray function keys on the right side of your keypad overlay) ... and cut.

This should cut your image in the same place that it was previously drawn. I have had great success using this method. The best hint here is to NOT pull your mat out of your Cricut after after you have drawn your image, then just hit your "load paper" button to go back to the same starting point. The 2nd helpful hint is to place the paper under the marker when you change it to prevent unwanted marks.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Edited by user Friday, December 10, 2010 8:10:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

3 users thanked ♥Carol♥ for this useful post.
SandyToesCrafter on 1/18/2011(UTC), Lynny_tin on 1/25/2011(UTC), Tracy (CountryCharm) on 1/31/2011(UTC)
KateKelley Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2010 10:01:10 PM(UTC)
KateKelley

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I have used the markers and cut out fine but never got the Happy Birthday to work. I was using Design Studio and did not unload the paper. I am wondering if there is something specific to this cartridge (Celebrations) or just to the Happy Birthday.

I actually tried it with two different markers and that didn't work either.

Kate
LeahSchlief Offline
#15 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 9:29:30 PM(UTC)
LeahSchlief

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Ok it should have come with a paper int he package that has instructions. Replace blade with marker. Place paper on mat and load paper. Do not adjust the location of the cricut color on the paper. a. the cricut color must begin in it's starting position. Choose characters you would like to draw. Adjust your machine to the following settings. a. speed=3 b. pressure=2 Choose the size of the character you would like to draw. Press the cut button. a. note when the cricut color is in the machine the cut button will cause the machine to draw rather than cut. when the machine has stopped, press the load paperbutton. DO NOT UNLOAD THE PAPER pressing the unload paper button will cause the drawn image and the the cut image to be misaligned( I think that this is where everyone is making their mistake) The load paper button will will return the mat and paper to it's original position. Without moving the gray carriage, remove the maarker and replace it with the blade. Adjust the machine and blade to the appropriate settings for the medium you are cutting. press the repeat last button and then press cut. When it is done press the unload paper button.
I hope this helps you all. I tried it with a workd and it turned out really cool. If my printer was working I would scan and post it for you gals to see.
 1 user thanked LeahSchlief for this useful post.
Jessica Wilson on 7/31/2011(UTC)
BarbSchaerfl Offline
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 08, 2011 6:51:31 PM(UTC)
BarbSchaerfl

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I thought I'd throw in my two cents. Wink I think if you make the pressure setting higher with the marker - than the pressure setting you use for your cut - it will leave your ink line intact. It will squish the marker onto the paper with more force making a wider line.
scrapalette Offline
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:20:02 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19152 time(s) in 8566 post(s)
BarbSchaerfl wrote:
I thought I'd throw in my two cents. Wink I think if you make the pressure setting higher with the marker - than the pressure setting you use for your cut - it will leave your ink line intact. It will squish the marker onto the paper with more force making a wider line.

But that will ruin the tip of the marker.
CricketCMV Offline
#18 Posted : Friday, January 21, 2011 7:00:10 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Was thanked: 8270 time(s) in 4872 post(s)
Respectfully, Scrapalette, my markers have never gotten ruined when I use BLADE DEPTH 6; Pressure HIGH, and Speed Medium.

I'm wondering if there is one IMPORTANT point that is being missed here.

You MUST place the paper on the mat in the upper right hand corner of the mat (the corner that the Cricut automatically knows exactly where you are on the page--if we want this function to work, we look at the mat with the arrow facing up and place our paper the way we want it in the upper right hand corner with that arrow facing up while we're placing the paper on the mat. Yes, we have the right to move the blade anywhere we want on the page to utilize other parts of the mat, but for this function to work, you MUST be in the upper right hand corner to start.)

The ONLY WAY THE MARKERS and CUT function work together is when we start the MARKER/CUT in that corner. If you move the blade around on the page to anywhere else to start the MARKER/CUT, the function won't work properly.

I prefer to use the MARKER first, myself, then CUT. You Load Last and Repeat Last before you hit the CUT button. You can remove the marker and replace the blade anytime you want, as long as you hit Load Last and Repeat Last before you hit CUT.

HTH!

Char
Karey Offline
#19 Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 11:17:29 PM(UTC)
Karey

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 10 post(s)
You can also try using a different spot on your mat. You do not HAVE to start at 0,0. For example, begin your cut at x=1.00 and y=1.00. DO NOT unload your paper, swap blade for marker or vice versa being VERY careful not to move the blade housing and then return the blade to the orginal starting point of your cut - in this case 1,1. It should line up exactly every time, if you do not unload or move the housing.

good luck

1 user thanked Karey for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 3/8/2011(UTC)
Jannina Offline
#20 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2011 12:10:28 PM(UTC)
Jannina

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So now I am curious and will have to try this. I've had the markers for a while but not used them. I shall see
Platinum~Diva Offline
#21 Posted : Sunday, May 08, 2011 4:44:56 PM(UTC)
Platinum~Diva

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jannina Go to Quoted Post
So now I am curious and will have to try this. I've had the markers for a while but not used them. I shall see

Same here; I've had my markers for almost a year...haven't even taken them out of the package...ThumpUp
Kut-n-Print Offline
#22 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:32:14 PM(UTC)
Kut-n-Print

Was thanked: 906 time(s) in 439 post(s)
Were you cutting the same thing you were drawing, or trying to cut the shadow? If you want to draw the image, then cut its shadow you have to use center point or it will be off by the 1/8 inch or so you describe.
Here are the steps:
If you are doing this without CDS, CCR or the Gypsy, then you will need to navigate to your starting point and note the x and y coordinates on the Cricut screen. They only flash briefly so you have to watch closely.
Press the center point button
Cut your drawing with the pen installed, switch to the blade, hit *load* paper, then navigate back to those same x and y coordinates and cut your shadow (with center point still selected).
This video on the hinge method shows how to use the coordinates
http://cleversomeday.wor...e-for-cutting-printouts/
An aside: I have been lobbying for about a year now for a "return to last start" button so this tedious procedure would not be necessary but so far no luck.

Edited by user Friday, June 17, 2011 5:50:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 users thanked Kut-n-Print for this useful post.
OhhhSnap on 5/20/2011(UTC), Jessica Wilson on 7/31/2011(UTC)
♥Carol♥ Offline
#23 Posted : Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:10:31 AM(UTC)
♥Carol♥

Was thanked: 2765 time(s) in 2202 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CricketCMV Go to Quoted Post
Respectfully, Scrapalette, my markers have never gotten ruined when I use BLADE DEPTH 6; Pressure HIGH, and Speed Medium.

I'm wondering if there is one IMPORTANT point that is being missed here.

You MUST place the paper on the mat in the upper right hand corner of the mat (the corner that the Cricut automatically knows exactly where you are on the page--if we want this function to work, we look at the mat with the arrow facing up and place our paper the way we want it in the upper right hand corner with that arrow facing up while we're placing the paper on the mat. Yes, we have the right to move the blade anywhere we want on the page to utilize other parts of the mat, but for this function to work, you MUST be in the upper right hand corner to start.)

The ONLY WAY THE MARKERS and CUT function work together is when we start the MARKER/CUT in that corner. If you move the blade around on the page to anywhere else to start the MARKER/CUT, the function won't work properly.

I prefer to use the MARKER first, myself, then CUT. You Load Last and Repeat Last before you hit the CUT button. You can remove the marker and replace the blade anytime you want, as long as you hit Load Last and Repeat Last before you hit CUT.
HTH!

Char

I just thought I'd clarify the above highlighted in yellow, just in case I misunderstood, or perhaps this was mistyped .... when you said "LOAD LAST" did you mean "load paper"? The reason why I am asking, is because I believe that "LOAD LAST" will take you to the place where your last cut (or, in this case, last draw) ended ... this feature key is intended to help conserve paper by allowing you to cut on the un-cut portion of paper remaining on your mat. Unfortunately, it does NOT mean to load the paper to the same original starting place where you last loaded it.

To accomplish this, you will need to cut (or draw) first, then WITHOUT unloading your mat, select the "load paper" button again ... this will take you back to your original starting point ... now you can select "repeat last" to have your blade cut over your previously drawn, or cut, lines.

It may be off just slightly due to vibrations, etc. ... but basically, this works very nicely.

Edited by user Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:12:12 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CindyVanErt Offline
#24 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2011 7:27:42 PM(UTC)
CindyVanErt

This may or may not be helpful, but I've noticed a glitch when I use the copy feature on my Gypsy and then use the markers. I don't know if this is something with my machine or not, but now that I know where the problem comes from, I just don't use the copy feature when I know I want to use markers.

For example, if I set up my Gypsy to cut 50 hearts, but enter each one from the cartridge page on the Gypsy, then cut and then use the markers as normal, the markers work fine. Where the problem comes in is if I enter 25 hearts from the cartridge screen and then copy them. They will cut fine, but when you go to use the markers, they are off every time. Some of them will align perfectly, but others will be way off???

I hope that makes sense and possibly gives you an idea of what happened. Again, this might be something with my setup, but I thought I'd throw this out there as a possibility of your problem?? It took me awhile to figure out how to reproduce what I would see, but it consistently happens when I use the copy feature.

I've been using markers for a long time and I personally do not think it matters if you cut and then use markers or vise versa. Either method works fine, but if I have a white-cored paper, using the markers second, covers up the white that may have been exposed.)