Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

CaroleTwitchell Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:13:01 PM(UTC)
CaroleTwitchell

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi all,

I'm new at cardmaking and Cricut and saw a beautiful card done by "Happy Happy Joy Joy" using the snowflake cut into the card. She set the size of the card to cut at 5" which makes a square card. If I want to make a 5" x 7" card, can I do that without distorting the snowflake cut out of the center front of the card? What size should set? If I use 7" will it cut a 7" square card? Confused Thanks for any help!

Carole

CaroleTwitchell attached the following image(s):
Snowflake Christmas Card 2010.jpg
 1 user thanked CaroleTwitchell for this useful post.
lovemybugs1 on 1/16/2011(UTC)
MikeBates Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 7:27:14 PM(UTC)
MikeBates

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm still fairly new to this but I think this procedure will remedy the situation. The card as it stands is a square and as you make it larger it will stay a square unless you only increase one dimension and then it will distort the snowflake. However, if you have a gypsy or DS you can find a plain rectangular card on one of the carts, size it and then weld it to the snowflake card to make whatever finished size you want. Hope this is understandable and helps.
Teresa Turner Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:02:51 PM(UTC)
Teresa Turner

United States

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 114 post(s)
Beautiful! Yes, you can weld.
CaroleTwitchell Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:34:29 AM(UTC)
CaroleTwitchell

I do have DS and will give that a try. Thank you, Mike Bates! BigGrin
CaroleTwitchell Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:34:49 PM(UTC)
CaroleTwitchell

Okay. I tried welding in DS, but I obviously have no idea how to use the program and the manual is no help at all. First, I opened a rectangle shape from Plantin Schoolbook and sized it the way I wanted (10"W x 7"H). Then, I used the Winter Woodland cartridge to open the snowflake card image and move it on top of rectangle where I wanted the snowflake to cut. I selected the Welding button and clicked Apply. When I cut the image, the only thing that cut was the rectangle. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

Any suggestions about how to learn the DS program? Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with me!

Carole
PattyGolden Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 18, 2010 5:28:12 PM(UTC)
PattyGolden

Was thanked: 210 time(s) in 25 post(s)
CaroleTwitchell wrote:
Okay. I tried welding in DS, but I obviously have no idea how to use the program and the manual is no help at all. First, I opened a rectangle shape from Plantin Schoolbook and sized it the way I wanted (10"W x 7"H). Then, I used the Winter Woodland cartridge to open the snowflake card image and move it on top of rectangle where I wanted the snowflake to cut. I selected the Welding button and clicked Apply. When I cut the image, the only thing that cut was the rectangle. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

Any suggestions about how to learn the DS program? Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with me!

Carole

Hi Carole - you might want to spend some time on Narelle's blog. lots of tutorials and good information about design studio. it's where i learned most of what i know about DS. This link is to one of her welding guides, but if you look in the left column, you'll see lots of other stuff to learn!

Cricut lovers guide to Design Studio

have fun!

Patty
JavaJ Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 19, 2010 9:13:52 AM(UTC)
JavaJ

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
You're going in the right direction - you do need to have both items with 'weld selected' however you can't just make one big rectangle and then place the snowflake on top because anything inside of the rectangle won't cut once you hit weld.
When I've done something like this in the past I've welded extra shapes on the top or the bottom of the card to make it the size I wanted. I would weld one or more rectangles to the top and the bottom of the snowflake card.

So - if you place one rectangle on top - with weld button selected, and then assuming you want the snowflake centered in the front - weld another rectangle on the bottom - the rectangles should be overlapping the top edge (or bottom as the case may be) ) of the card but not overlapping the snowflake part in the middle of the card.

Hope that helps!
-Jael