Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

TessieLosacco Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 12:34:43 PM(UTC)
TessieLosacco

Groups: Registered

Hey There!! Im new to the cricut family. I just purchased my Cricut Expressions Origional and am waiting VERY impatiently for it to arrive! :) I want to do as much research on it as i can before it gets here so i can start crafting righ away! I am confused on which cartridges i need to get for it? Are they all compatible with each other? Any advice would be extremely helpful!
gcmcevoy Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, November 22, 2010 3:09:16 PM(UTC)
gcmcevoy

United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 607 post(s)
Hi Tessie ,
Welcome to the MB you will meet a lot of talented people here . Everyone is very helpful and the projects are wonderful. Look around and read some of the threads and different posts. It can be a little overwhelming at first. Watch the dvd that comes with your E . It is a good starting point . You also can go on to YouTube and search for Cricut Expression videos they are helpful.

A few hints. First the only cartridges that you can not use in your E are the Imagine carts, they are for the new machine that prints paper desings and then cuts out the shapes. So any of the other carts are fine for all other machines. Another thing make sure you have the spatula for taking the cuts off the mat. Some machines come with it as a special . I had to buy mine Crying . Finally , Season your mat before you use it for the first time. The mats are sticky and sometimes when they are new they are too sticky, I wish I knew to season my mat before I used it the first time. I think I used thin construction paper that stuck so badly to the mat I thought I wrecked it!Angry To season your mat take the clear plastic cover off ( hint mark the top of the cover Before you take it off the mat so you know which side to put down next to the mat surface for protection after you finish cutting!) take your hands and place them all over the mat a few times or use a soft non linting cloth and pounce it all over the surface to take some of the sticky away. This make it easier to get your project off the mat. OH and if anything sticks to the mat Use a scrapper to take it off. You can also wipe the mat with a baby wipe or wash it with dish soap and warm water and let it dry completely. Make sure it is on a flat surface when it dries.
Hope that helps. Have fun and show us what you make !
Gina
 1 user thanked gcmcevoy for this useful post.
Scrappin' Sarah on 11/30/2010(UTC)
SheenaA Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:35:58 AM(UTC)
SheenaA

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
GinaMcEvoy wrote:
Finally , Season your mat before you use it for the first time. The mats are sticky and sometimes when they are new they are too sticky, I wish I knew to season my mat before I used it the first time. I think I used thin construction paper that stuck so badly to the mat I thought I wrecked it!Angry To season your mat take the clear plastic cover off ( hint mark the top of the cover Before you take it off the mat so you know which side to put down next to the mat surface for protection after you finish cutting!) take your hands and place them all over the mat a few times or use a soft non linting cloth and pounce it all over the surface to take some of the sticky away. This make it easier to get your project off the mat. OH and if anything sticks to the mat Use a scrapper to take it off. You can also wipe the mat with a baby wipe or wash it with dish soap and warm water and let it dry completely. Make sure it is on a flat surface when it dries.

I wish I had of known that. Thank you for teaching me something new. I had the hardest time with my mat when I first got it. Now it needs to be cleaned because it is getting to be not sticky.
Scrappin' Sarah Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:37:25 AM(UTC)
Scrappin' Sarah

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi, Sheena!

I too have recently joined the Cricut craze! Unfortunately, I won't get mine till Christmas morning. Cursing But like you, I am also trying to do as much research as I can on mine. I didn't get the Expression (I don't have the room for something that big!) but I did get the Create, or, shall I say my Santa Mama and Daddy got it for me. (I should point out now that as I write this, my machine is sitting under the tree unwrapped with a great big lime green bow on it, taunting me everytime I walk by that tree... Hmm... I wonder if they'd notice the box is empty on Christmas morning! Sneaky LOL)

I've already bookmarked several YT videos and I bought the spatula tool off eBay since the tool kit that I bought to go with it didn't come with a spatula (which is surprising considering that everybody I've talked to said that the spatula is an invaluable tool).

I've also looked at cartridges. I can't quite bring myself to spend $90 on a single cart yet, so I'm guessing that I'll go down the eBay route for that as well.

Enjoy your new machine when you get it!!

Cheers,
Sarah
SheenaA Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:17:01 PM(UTC)
SheenaA

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I would be going crazy looking at it under the tree everyday. Luckily I got mine in August so I've been playing with it for a few months. I haven't been able to watch any of the youtube videos yet but I need to soon.
Scrappin' Sarah Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:30:06 PM(UTC)
Scrappin' Sarah

Oh, I'm going NUTS!! What's worse is everytime I stop to look at it, someone shoos me away. It's like they get some twisted pleasure out of seeing me go crazy about it. LOL
Penguin Collector Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:33:52 PM(UTC)
Penguin Collector

United States

Was thanked: 164 time(s) in 147 post(s)
Scrappin' Sarah wrote:
Oh, I'm going NUTS!! What's worse is everytime I stop to look at it, someone shoos me away. It's like they get some twisted pleasure out of seeing me go crazy about it. LOL

LOLLOL
VinDeeLoo Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:32:53 PM(UTC)
VinDeeLoo

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Scrappin' Sarah wrote:

Mine is setting in the quest room unwrapped. My husband works during the day. Do you think he would notice if I took it out to play while he was gone.

I have purchased several cartridges on ebay - anywhere from $15-$20. I keep looking at my tracking.
Khrista Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:52:27 PM(UTC)
Khrista

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 2512 time(s) in 1400 post(s)
lol.. first let me say Welcome! second, yep you've definitely all caught the cricut bug. :) I would just see if the darling hubby or parents would let you use it with the justification of making Christmas cards, tags, holiday banner etc :) <might work?> As someone else said, the Imagine cartridges are the only ones to not buy. Ebay is an awesome place to pick up cartridges, but a word of caution is to make sure they have not been linked to a gypsy.. This is another item that you may want someday and if a cartridge can only be linked to one gypsy ever. If you use facebook, there are also sites there, including a Cricut one.

Some blogs that I follow that I've found helpful (I follow a lot more than this, but these are good starting points and they all have links to other ones)

mypinkstamper.com

madebymomo.blogspot.com

joyslife.com

All 3 of them have video's that are great for idea's and how to's. They're also on youtube. Also, if you haven't already, I'd recommend signing up for the cricut newsletter. Comes out by email.

If you get stuck, definitely put a question up on the messageboard. Often a quicker place to start than trying to get through on the help line.

Have fun!
:)Khrista
 1 user thanked Khrista for this useful post.
Sara on 12/2/2010(UTC)
Scrappin' Sarah Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 01, 2010 7:19:57 AM(UTC)
Scrappin' Sarah

VinDee,

If you did that, than you'd have to figure out a way to either get the machine EXACTLY as it was packaged by the manufacturer or throw away the packaging which presents another problem... Where can you dispose of it without hubby dearest finding it? LOL I think we have to just bite the bullet and remind ourselves on a daily basis (sometimes hourly too!) that we are grown women and that Christmas is just 24 days away. LOL As difficult as it is.

Khrista,

If a cartridge has been linked to a Gypsy will it not work then? Also, I am on Facebook if anybody wants to find me. My name is Sarah Williams, but since there about a billion Sarah Williams' out in the world (so much for having a cool and unique name! LOL) you can find me by me.and.myshadows@hotmail.com I would LOVE to get to know you all!!

Enjoy your day!

~Sarah
Khrista Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:15:08 PM(UTC)
Khrista

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 2512 time(s) in 1400 post(s)
Sarah

If the cartridge has been linked to a gypsy, the cartridge itself will still work in any of the machines you put it into. It will just never link up to another gypsy. Some people don't care about this and will buy used cartridges that someone has linked to a gypsy (which I don't think people are supposed to do anyways but some do). I can have my gypsy hooked to my Imagine and have it cutting from say Mickey and Friends, but then be using the actual cartridge on my Expression. Since I have a gypsy, I don't use my cartridges themselves very often. I keep them as you never know and my older daughter uses my cricut but she's not allowed to use the Gypsy so needs the cartridges. :)

lol.. I'm waiting to see if you guys make it 24 more days now :) or if the darling family members will end up letting you have it early.

:)Khrista

1 user thanked Khrista for this useful post.
Scrappin' Sarah on 12/1/2010(UTC)
Scrappin' Sarah Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 01, 2010 6:45:54 PM(UTC)
Scrappin' Sarah

Hi Khrista,

Thanks so much for the clarification! And I have a feeling that no matter how much I whine and beg, I won't get it till Christmas morning. LOL In fact, I think I'm starting to annoy my parents about it. LOL
AlissaB Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 02, 2010 2:00:16 PM(UTC)
AlissaB

Hello!

My husband just surprised me with my new Cricut Expression. Thanks for the heads up on how to season your mat and clean it. I realized last night that it was extremely sticky and my trial projects were getting ruined. I bought the Spatula tool today. Are there other tools that are helpful to have? I know Cricut has alot of extra pieces and I don't want to waste my money on extras if you dont use them. I can really see how useful the spatula tool will be. :)

I would love to know any of your tips/tricks for new cricut expression crafters. Any tips on getting to know your machine better? You tube videos? Who has the best deal on cartridges? Where do yall buy your Vellum?

I am so excited and have so many ideas running through my head.

Its a little overwhelming everyhting this awesome machine can do!

Thanks!
AlissaFlapper