Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

sjlee Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 02, 2010 12:22:06 PM(UTC)
sjlee

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone. I'm interested in getting a Cricut machine for my wife for Christmas, but am unsure of which one to get. I noticed that there are three models: the original, Create and Expression... each at a different price point.

My wife does quite a bit of scrapbooking when she has free time, so I'm sure she'd love to have any of them, but I just don't know which one to get for her.

Thanks in advance for any help.
PattiCarnelos Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 02, 2010 12:38:31 PM(UTC)
PattiCarnelos

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 26 post(s)
To be honest with you I would go with the Expression. That is the one that I have and I love it. It has been such a good machine for me. They have come down in price so it is a good product. Shop around I know that where I live I got it at Walmart and that was the cheapest that I could find it.

Check around and hopefully you will find something. The web here has some good deals too.

Hopefully we will see her on mb sometime after Christmas

Merry Christmas
Patti
 1 user thanked PattiCarnelos for this useful post.
sjlee on 12/2/2010(UTC)
kathysalido Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 02, 2010 12:39:23 PM(UTC)
kathysalido

Was thanked: 249 time(s) in 143 post(s)
If you can afford it, defintely buy her the expression. It is a bigger machine and you are able to make larger cuts. What a great hubby you are!!!

Edited by user Thursday, December 02, 2010 12:40:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: correct spelling

1 user thanked kathysalido for this useful post.
sjlee on 12/2/2010(UTC)
ShawnfromMN Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 02, 2010 12:43:38 PM(UTC)
ShawnfromMN

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 399 time(s) in 268 post(s)
I would definately recommend the expression. I had the original and i sold it within a couple of months because i wanted the ability to create bigger and better!! The Expression is the way to go!!
 1 user thanked ShawnfromMN for this useful post.
sjlee on 12/2/2010(UTC)
Sing&Scrap Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 02, 2010 12:55:29 PM(UTC)
Sing&Scrap

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 613 time(s) in 328 post(s)
I'm with the ladies on the Expression. I had the original first (a birthday gift from my husband!) and after a couple years, found I wanted to do more. It will handle anything the little one does but gives you a lot more options. I do a lot of scrapbooking as well and it lets you get smaller fonts too. What a lucky lady!

Good luck and trust me.. if she has heard of it, she'll have a big smile!
 1 user thanked Sing&Scrap for this useful post.
sjlee on 12/2/2010(UTC)
Scrappin' Sarah Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 02, 2010 1:02:59 PM(UTC)
Scrappin' Sarah

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Before you buy any machine, make sure how much room you have. If you have a lot of room (like if she's got her own craft room) than definitely go with the Expression. If space is an issue with you guys (like in my case), go with the Create. It does everything the Expression does except cut the huge monster cuts. (Huge monster cuts being anything bigger than 11.5 inches.)

I agree with the other posters, what a lucky lady your wife is to have such a generous hubby!!

~Sarah
 1 user thanked Scrappin' Sarah for this useful post.
sjlee on 12/2/2010(UTC)
sjlee Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 02, 2010 2:31:11 PM(UTC)
sjlee

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

My wife has her own craft room, so I don't think space should be an issue (although it is kind of in a mess right now).

I see that Walmart has the Expression on sale currently for $198, which includes two cartridges (Playtime and Classic Font)... plus it's available in different colors.

I also found it on Amazon for $225, which includes a spatula, a 12x12 cutting pad and two other cartridges (Plantin SchoolBook and Accent Essentials mini). Can't tell if the WM one has the instructional DVD or not, but then again I'm not sure how helpful it is.

Seems like the WM price is the best I could find. Even if I add in the cutting pad and spatula, it ends up being a little cheaper than Amazon. Does that seem like a good deal?

Finally, are there any accessories that you'd recommend that I get right away? I was thinking about getting the tool kit, but is there anything else she would need right away?
TinaW528 Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 02, 2010 2:52:10 PM(UTC)
TinaW528

Was thanked: 726 time(s) in 617 post(s)
You are so sweet doing this research for your wife! I would recommend the toolkit and the spatula. They are helpful if you are cutting smaller shapes. Extra mats would be helpful too, but there should be 1 or 2 to get you started. I hope your wife enjoys this gift!
 1 user thanked TinaW528 for this useful post.
sjlee on 12/2/2010(UTC)
KenidiCalamity Offline
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:00:30 PM(UTC)
KenidiCalamity

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I just got the expression from walmart the other day in aqua, and I can tell you it comes with the instructional dvd, the two cartridges you mentioned, and 1 12" x 12" cutting mat. I would also recommend the tool kit, as it has helped out a TON.

I would definitely recommend the expression because of the larger cutting area. Even if she doesn't cut anything huge, it allows you to cut out the 4-8 layers a lot of the cuts call for, without having to stop halfway to reload the mat with new paper.
 1 user thanked KenidiCalamity for this useful post.
sjlee on 12/2/2010(UTC)
gcmcevoy Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:06:07 PM(UTC)
gcmcevoy

United States

Was thanked: 702 time(s) in 607 post(s)
The tool kit is a great thing to get. She would need the spatula that come in the kit ( you can also just buy it by itself) . I think all the machines come with a mat. I have never heard of one not coming with the mat. A few more Cartridges ( Never buy full price) look at J's. M's Hobby lobby.Ac Moore and on line sites for sales. Ebay has a lot of Cricut carts. Finally Paper, all kinds of paper. One can't get enough pretty card stock paper!!!!LOL LOL LOL
 1 user thanked gcmcevoy for this useful post.
sjlee on 12/2/2010(UTC)
GrammyCris Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 02, 2010 3:43:56 PM(UTC)
GrammyCris

Was thanked: 1180 time(s) in 551 post(s)
I'm in total agreement on the Expression....

When I first got mine I purchased the tool kit and the spatula and to be honest in 3 years I have not used the tool kit at all but use the spatula daily.
 1 user thanked GrammyCris for this useful post.
sjlee on 12/3/2010(UTC)
PattiCarnelos Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, December 03, 2010 6:24:49 AM(UTC)
PattiCarnelos

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 26 post(s)
You are a wonderful husband. I am hoping my husband is just as wonderful. I agree with all ladies the spatula is the best tool that is out there.

If you are planning on getting cartiage do not pay full price. Right now there is sales every where for them. I know that Michaels has a big sale on them (here in Canada) and I know that Walmart has them cheaper too. Just shop around.

Good luck with your shopping.

Patti
 1 user thanked PattiCarnelos for this useful post.
sjlee on 12/3/2010(UTC)
laurahunter Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, December 03, 2010 6:49:39 AM(UTC)
laurahunter

Location: DFW area, Texas MQ # 246 page 9, New MQ # 28 page 1

Was thanked: 373 time(s) in 343 post(s)
I agree with everyone else that the expression is the way to go. I bought the original one right before the expression came out. I had the expression within the year ( thanks to my husband ) and never touch the original again. I just recently gave it to a friend. I would look at cartridges , if you can find one or two more that you think she'll like. The paperdoll cartridges have tons of extras that I use alot and create a critter is also a fun one. I NEVER pay more than $30.00 for a cartridge and most ebay sellers offer free shipping on them.

Just F.Y.I. , I have found that the coordination paper from JoAnn's to be the easist to get clean cuts from. Followed by the smooth card stock from Hobby Lobby's open stock. Michael's ( Bazille) paper drives me crazy.

I hope this helpsBigGrin
 1 user thanked laurahunter for this useful post.
sjlee on 12/3/2010(UTC)
sjlee Offline
#14 Posted : Saturday, December 04, 2010 7:20:47 PM(UTC)
sjlee

Just wanted to post an update...

I was shopping at Menards today (like a Lowe's/Home Depot for those not familiar) and saw that they had the Expression on sale for $160. I couldn't believe it. They only had one left, and unfortunately, the box looked like it was opened, but I checked inside and everything looked intact. They also had cartridges for only $20 each. So, I picked up a couple of them as well as the Expression.

They offered a two-year replacement plan for $25 when I checked out. I declined, but wanted to check with all of you and see if you thought I should get it. I normally don't get extended warranties, but wasn't sure how reliable these machines are.
cortney Offline
#15 Posted : Saturday, December 04, 2010 8:32:22 PM(UTC)
cortney

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)
If you can swing it, go with the expression, and I say this from personal experience. I bought the baby bug (the smallest one) and upgraded to the expression with in 6 months. I sold my little one to a friend, but had I done a little more research I would have gone with the expression in the first place.

Give yourself a pat on the back for thinking of a great gift!
cortney Offline
#16 Posted : Saturday, December 04, 2010 8:33:45 PM(UTC)
cortney

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 13 post(s)
sjlee wrote:

I was shopping at Menards today (like a Lowe's/Home Depot for those not familiar) and saw that they had the Expression on sale for $160. I couldn't believe it. They only had one left, and unfortunately, the box looked like it was opened, but I checked inside and everything looked intact. They also had cartridges for only $20 each. So, I picked up a couple of them as well as the Expression.

They offered a two-year replacement plan for $25 when I checked out. I declined, but wanted to check with all of you and see if you thought I should get it. I normally don't get extended warranties, but wasn't sure how reliable these machines are.

Wow ..that is an awesome deal! I don't know that you would need the extended warranty on it.
Multicrafter Amy Offline
#17 Posted : Saturday, December 04, 2010 9:04:41 PM(UTC)
Multicrafter Amy

United States

Was thanked: 13349 time(s) in 2347 post(s)
sjlee wrote:

Great price. I have had mine for about 2 1/2 years and no problems so far and I paid a lot more. Knock on wood! lol I don't buy extended warranties either. Well except for my washer and Dryer. A total must. I have used the warranty twice on my Washer. Silly kids and the things they put in their pockets. Great job on the gift! If she needs tips or help this message board is the best!
BetsyBoo Offline
#18 Posted : Saturday, December 04, 2010 9:24:10 PM(UTC)
BetsyBoo

Was thanked: 287 time(s) in 155 post(s)
I too speak from experience get the expression, I have a small machine because that was the only one out at the time, I have upgraded to the expression and I love it. As far as tools definitely the spatula, but I also like the tool kit the green triangle thing to clean off the mats and the pointy tool that looks like a dentist too because it is easy to poke out the small holes. I also just got a gypsy which is a hand held design studio, you download all your cartridges to it and then you can design layouts anywhere you go(A fun toy!) recently they were on sale for $99.00 at Michaels. I agree never pay more than $30 a cartridge because they go on sale all the time or you can get them on ebay.