Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

yrs1963 Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 7:02:51 AM(UTC)
yrs1963

Groups: Registered

I changed the computer I had DS on with the help of the tech dept. That worked fine. But when I try to update the firmware I never get the 2nd update to load and now I can't even use my cricut. I unplugged everything, turned it off and back on, all the lights are on and it won't do anything.

Please help! I just want to make my Christmas cards.

Thanks.
Doxieluv01 Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 1:03:03 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2262 time(s) in 1788 post(s)
you shouldn't have needed to update your firmware.

have you tried updating your firmware again? have you tried resetting your machine? have you tried turning off your firewall and updating your firmware?
scrapalette Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 05, 2010 6:39:41 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 19028 time(s) in 8503 post(s)
While it's true that changing DS to a different computer shouldn't require a firmware update to your Cricut, it will if the DS version was updated.

Make sure you are putting your Cricut in firmware mode before the second update as well. This is from the FAQs page on cricut.com:

Note: After your computer sees the Cricut successfully, and when you get to step 2 of the firmware update process (the steps page comes up when you click on Update Cricut Firmware), be sure that your Cricut is put into Firmware Update mode correctly. When you press and hold down Stop, and then press Power, you need to keep the Stop button down till the Cricut beeps at you. This usually takes about 5 or 6 seconds. This is how you know your Cricut is ready to receive new firmware. If the Cricut didn’t beep, it’s not in Firmware Update mode.

Just some add'l info:

Here are some steps to update your firmware:

#1 The first step would be to update your DesignStudio to the latest version. To do this uninstall your current version of DesignStudio, then download and run the file below from a administrator account. This will install the new version on DesignStudio. Uninstalling your previous version will not remove the activation information from your machine.

click download http://www.cricut.com/cds/Update.aspx

#2 Once this completes make sure you are not connecting the Cricut machine to your computer through a USB hub. Also, if you are connecting to a desktop, it is recommended that you use the ports in the back of the machine.

#3 In DesignStudio go to the Help menu, then Update Cricut Firmware. Make sure you follow all directions listed on this dialog. This will normally take 7 to 10 minutes, if it is completing immediately this is a sign of a communication problem.

#4 At this point it may prompt for a second firmware update. You need to turn off the Cricut. Then make sure that the machine is back in firmware mode (feature keys will be lit up). Then click to begin updating for the second update.

#5 Note the result shown on your screen when the firmware update completes. It should read "Update Successful" but it might say "Update Failed". If it says "Update Failed" this means that you will need to redo the process.

If you are still having trouble, please give our Customer Service call at 1-877-727-4288 7am to 6pm MST Mon-Fri and they will be happy to take you through some troubleshooting to find the source and fix the problem.