Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

sandandsurf Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:09:13 PM(UTC)
sandandsurf

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 26 post(s)
I dont have the gypsy or the design studio yet but can some PLEASE give me some major highlights of whats different about each of these 3 and if one does more than the other or if they all do the same thing?

If I can use the craft room free do I need the DS or Gypsy? Is the only reason to have a GYPSY is just that you can use it away from home (its portability)? I was about to purchase the DS and considering the Gypsy if I can get one at a good deal but dont know if I need all three and dont want to waste money if I can spend the money on more carts.....
Mercy Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 9:50:45 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Was thanked: 2082 time(s) in 1202 post(s)
DS is an old program that has issues with transferring files to the g. Not all files have issues just certain files that images were edited. It is not portable and you can only add one copy of CDS to one computer. If your hard drive crash or you buy another computer, then you will have to call pc for another reactivation number and that is limited to how many times you can do so. All of your files are saved on your computer in which you can share your files and if your hard drive were to crash etc, then you have lost those files unless you backed them up. If you want to use a gypsy file, then you will need a paid version of DS to convert the file. In order to use the DS file in CCR, you will convert the file to a g file and then transfer it to CCR. DS lacks the Grouping feature. The reason that grouping is good is because if I have several images on the virtual mat, if I want to resize all of the images, you would group them and make one adjustment. Without the grouping feature, then you would have to adjust each image separately. If you want to use DS files which are on many of the blogs for free, then you need a paid version of DS to convert the file to be used in CCR or the Gypsy. DS is the only program that converts DS and G files. You need to insert a cart into one of the Cricuts/Imagine and you can use a jukebox. Since you are using your computer screen, the screen is larger. If you go to a crop/away from home, if you want to cut, you have to carry your carts with you. Does not work with the E2 and it does not work with the Imagine. Do not need Cricut Sync to update and you can update PC's legacy cricuts via CDS.

CCR is an updated version of CDS per se. CCR should have the features of the G per se but CCR is not portable per se. You can use CCR if you are out of town via an internet connection on your computer. If you are using another computer, then as long as you do not have CCR on two computers in which you can deactivate one prior to leaving out of town, then you can use CCR any where as long as you have some type of internet connection. It can be portable if you have the data plan to a mobile internet connect. You can save your files online or on your computer. You can save your files as gysy files so they can be transferred to the g. You cannot use DS files in CCR unless you convert those files in which that is done in a paid version of DS. If CCR is down, you cannot use it so if you do not have a G or DS, then you are stuck until CCR comes back up. CCR is the only program that converts G files and CCR files. At this writing, you need to insert a cart into one of the Cricuts/Imagine but we are supposed to be able to link the carts to CCR so we will not have to insert a cart in a cricut. You are able to use a jukebox. Since you are using your computer screen, the screen is larger. As of this writing, if you go to a crop/away from home, if you want to cut, you have to carry your carts with you. Works with all of PC's devices except for the Yudu and knitter. It has full capablility with the imagine meaning that CCR will allow the I's carts to be moved around on the mat, hide apart of an image etc which cannot be done with the Gypsy or DS. Need Cricut Sync and CCR cannot update any of PC's legacy Cricuts.

The Gypsy is portable that you do not need an internet. If your internet is down, you still have the g as long as the battery is full or you have some type of power source. You cannot convert files as you need CCR or DS to use the g files in CCR or DS. CCR, the G and DS share some of the same features but thus far, CCR and the G's features are closely related. You do not need to insert your cart into a cricut. You cannot cut without linking your carts in your g which devalues your carts because you are not supposed to sell your carts without selling your g. For me the g is much easier to design than DS and CCR. Of course the screen is smaller but there is a zoom that makes the images on the overlay and images on the mat larger. You do not have to carry your carts around with you as you can cut with any cricut that is updated. Works with all of PC's devices except for the Yudu and knitter. Needs Cricut sync to update and can update any of PC's legacy Cricuts with the G.

Those are the things that comes to mind but I am sure others can add to this list.

Edited by user Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:37:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Updated the comparison chart.

2 users thanked Mercy for this useful post.
TracyHitt on 6/14/2011(UTC), disayshi on 6/15/2011(UTC)
sandandsurf Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2011 7:44:10 AM(UTC)
sandandsurf

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 26 post(s)
WOW< WOW< WOW !!! Thanks for so much information. I never knew there was soo much to consider!! Your information was so much HELP! Just wish I hadnt been in a big hurry to buy as I bought a DS new last night on ebay for about 22.50. Now I wish I had applied that money towards a gypsy machine!! Wonder since I havent hit the paid button if ebay will let me back out of the deal???!!???

Anyway thanks again for sharing your knowledge
OhCecilia Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:43:18 AM(UTC)
OhCecilia

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Mercy

Thanks for the info on the differences with CDS, CCR and Gypsy. I was feeling frustrated that I spent so much money on myn G (I bought on Launch Day) only to have something come out that's free like CCR. This makes me feel good that I own the G since it's portable! Now PC just needs to come out with an app for my iPad!!!! BigGrin
Mercy Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2011 11:23:10 PM(UTC)
Mercy

Was thanked: 2082 time(s) in 1202 post(s)
Ladies, you are welcome and glad I was able to help!

Beth, don't beat yourself over buying DS because you might find that you need it especially if you visit a lot of the blogs that allow free downloads for their .cut files. Some designers offer the .cut and the .gypsy file for the same design but others might not.

To me, paying twenty dollars for DS is not a bad deal because at least you will have a computer based program that might come in handy when CCR is down. You never know when you might need it especially if it is crunch time! :)

OhCecilia, yes, that would be nice but I will be surprised if pc sold an app for CCR because it might cut into their g sales.