Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

GinnyMaltbie Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:33:47 AM(UTC)
GinnyMaltbie

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just saw this post, I teach a self-contained classroom age 5-7; I have 7 students and 3 aides. Feel free to PM me or post any specific questions and I will try to answer them if I can.

Ginny
 1 user thanked GinnyMaltbie for this useful post.
Emerald on 8/19/2011(UTC)
lauren ferguson Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 7:45:56 AM(UTC)
lauren ferguson

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
hi all,

i am the mom to a special needs child. his diagnosis is autism. i am also the class-parent this year.

i really want to be helpful to my son's teacher, but i have not been able to find the magic bullet so to speak on creative ideas using the cricut in the classroom as a teaching tool.

i am going to start out making great bulletin boards that support the classroom learning. our first core subject is Social Studies "Our Nation".

i was thinking about using the my world, my community and 50 states. do you have any other suggestions?

i have a project for the kids to do to put on the board that lends itself to the kids learning their address and some basic map/geographic skills.

i also want to touch on the notion of sequencing and ordering with them putting the pre-cut pieces together to complete their project.

what i think my magic bullet would look like is a website with just classroom projects that have educational goals and objects that teacher/educators and involved parents could complete using the cricut.

has anyone come across something like this.

my goals are simple to have great bulletin boards for the kids to be proud of their work! any help that you can offer would be great.

until we meet again,

3 users thanked lauren ferguson for this useful post.
bex on 8/19/2011(UTC), Emerald on 8/19/2011(UTC), Teresa Turner on 8/23/2011(UTC)
bex Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 8:03:29 AM(UTC)
bex

Was thanked: 138 time(s) in 70 post(s)
Hi Lauren.

My son (8yrs) is also on the spectrum. Over the summer we purchased a book binder from Lakeshore Learning. This was our "reinforcement" to get ihm to "write" and do homework. When he finished writing and doing homework we would "create a book" with his homework in it. If you are interested I will attach a pic. I would have the day (month/day/year)...with pictures on the cover. He had to write about the day. To work on date....and explaining what he did. There was usually about 4-5 pages of work he would do for the day. He loved punching the holes in the paper and attaching the ?binder. Maybe you could do something like this after a field trip or about a certain subject? I am going to try and post some of the projects my son and I do on the blog later as well. If you have any questions...please feel free to send me a message.

Have a great school year:0)
 2 users thanked bex for this useful post.
Emerald on 8/19/2011(UTC), B A Herrington on 9/18/2011(UTC)
Khrista Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:54:03 PM(UTC)
Khrista

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 2508 time(s) in 1396 post(s)
Hi. I also teach in a more self contained classroom K-5. My students are out with their general ed. classes for some things such as PE, music, library, lunch etc. Their core subject time though is all with me. I've been busy making various decorations for my room etc. at the moment. :) I used various cartridges last year to make some hands on items (tinkerbell counters for a child that loved tinkerbell, the caterpillars for reading, etc). Lot of personalized things that the students loved. One I'll do again this year is their writing journal that goes between school and home. I have students with motor issues so use a different paper so made covers for each one with something I knew that child loved such as Cars, Airplanes, Hello Kitty, etc.

Lauren - you have some great ideas that I bet the teacher will love. :) Maybe try googling 'Interactive bulletin boards' for other idea's too. Tons of them out there that the cricut would make so much easier.

Sequence and order/following directions was something I did also where I brought in the various pieces and they would have to follow either a verbal or written directions to put together whatever it was. Often it was connected to something we were learning about at the time.

Alphabet letters - just simple lower and upper case for students that are learning their alphabet to be able to match

Flashcards - can make some adorable larger sized flashcards.. i.e. A is for Ant (we use ReadWell.. so maybe connect to whatever the reading curriculum is)

Numbers - if large enough, can put velcro or magnets on for kids to make addition/subtraction problems up on a board to solve.

Lots of seemingly simple things, but makes it more high interest to the kids.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions etc.
:)Khrista
ErikaKubischta Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 09, 2011 4:46:15 AM(UTC)
ErikaKubischta

I use mine all the time. Use it to make file folder games. I used the vinyl to make a number line on the floor to teach number line concept and addition/subtraction.