Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

AllisonMoroz Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 09, 2011 6:34:22 PM(UTC)
AllisonMoroz

Groups: Registered

Confused BigGrin

I just got a Cricut Expression for my birthday, just in time for me to use in my first classroom in the fall. I will be teaching in a combined gr.1/2 classroom and I would love to use a theme, but just can't think of one. I like the alliteration idea.....my name is Mrs. Moroz......can anybody think of anything for me? In Science we will be studying the seasons, magnets, small crawling and flying things and needs of plants and animals. Social is all about learning about three different Canadian communities, Saskatoon, Iqaluit, Meteghan. I am open to many different ideas. Please share! ;-) I want the class to think of themselves as a team, community, one big family instead of 2 different grades so if anyone has some ideas for how to work that in to the theme would be even better!Laugh.

Today I tried my Cricut for the first time and made a cool poster that I am going to laminate and then use it to write on with a Sharpie marker. TIP if you laminate first you can write on it with a permanent marker and then you can clean it off with dry erase board marker cleaner! I plan to use this poster to brainstorm ideas of what the kids think that FALL IS...then at the end of the year I can clean it off and use it again the next year! I plan to make one for every season and leave them up in the classroom as decorative posters as we use them. A way to show our learning and decorate at the same time! BigGrin The pic of my fall one hopefully is attached below

AllisonMy "Fall is..." poster

Edited by user Saturday, July 09, 2011 6:43:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
IMG_0254.jpg (1,160kb) downloaded 105 time(s).
TRice Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:17:07 AM(UTC)
TRice

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 23 post(s)
You could do Mrs. Moroz's Monkeys... Monkeys live in small communities called troops so you could possibly work that in to your class too. You could also use these phrases:
Wild about...
Swing into...
Going bananas for...
Look who's hanging out in room #...

You could cut bananas, monkeys, and vines out for various things (bulliten boards, student names, jobs assignments, etc.) I don't know what cartridges you have but Create-a-Critter would be great. It is one of my favorites :)Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Edited by user Sunday, July 10, 2011 9:17:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked TRice for this useful post.
AllisonMoroz on 7/13/2011(UTC)
PaperKrafter4Life Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:29:10 AM(UTC)
PaperKrafter4Life

United States

Was thanked: 186 time(s) in 141 post(s)
sharpie markers are permanent you should use a vis a vis or another marker designed for dry erase boards, they will totally erase as a sharpie won't.
CraftyOldBat Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 9:08:02 AM(UTC)
CraftyOldBat

United States

Was thanked: 406 time(s) in 339 post(s)
Together
Everyone
Achieves
More

A little corny but easy for young ones to remember and a great message. Then you could use all kinds of sports cuts which could work into lesson plans as well. Point out that there are lots of kinds of teams - any group of individuals working together is a team. Baseball season, football season etc; Games from other cultures & countries, Team activities, You could name them "Team Moroz" and cut big capital Ms in school colors and affix smaller cuts to the vertical lines to accent the current activities. Being part of a team unifies a group and provides so many benefits. Could probably work in some anti-bullying messages this way too.

Just throwing out thoughts here LOL The possibilities are ENDLESS with your Cricut

Good luck!
LisaCampbell3 Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:31:47 PM(UTC)
LisaCampbell3

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I love the Monkey one!

You could also do Ms. Moroz's Machines and do the little robots.

Just as added info word walls are great and can be made very easily with the cricut. Posters for each objective are really good as well. You can also use removable vinyl or contact paper on your white board to label your lesson for the day, schedule, date, class jobs, and other important things.

Remember make it fun and easy on you!!

Edited by user Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:33:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

groov87 Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:39:06 PM(UTC)
groov87

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Here's a tip for erasing any kind of marker or crayon...MR CLEAN MAGIC ERASE! Do not wet them. Just use them as an erase...they are quite magical!! Will even take off Sharpie!
I buy a number of boxes, then cut them into smaller pieces for my students to use on their dry erase boards, center games, etc...
It will take marks off tables, laminated paper, floors, walls etc...A MUST HAVE FOR EVERY TEACHER!!!

Cool BigGrin Cool
 1 user thanked groov87 for this useful post.
Trish S on 9/9/2011(UTC)
groov87 Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 8:08:27 PM(UTC)
groov87

"Mission POSSIBLE!" you could even have a bulletin board labeled MISSION ACCOMPLISHED for students who reach their goals! And Mission can take on a "space" theme...or law enforcement team/agents/spy...

for team themes you can have "Off to a winning start" and based on the type of sport you like say if its basketball...you can make basketball jeresys with the students names on them and hang them from the ceiling and make smaller ones for their desks/cubbies

I am doing owls this year...Kindergarten is a Hoot!

Cricut4theclassroom Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 9:17:40 PM(UTC)
Cricut4theclassroom

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 57 post(s)
There are lots of themes out there, but you also need to look at what cartridges you have to create the theme.I am doing a dog theme this year and I also know that the monkey theme is very popular. A teacher friend of mine is doing monkeys and her bulletin board says Swinging into Mrs. ___ Class. She has monkeys and vines all around her room.
Ultimately, you need to decide what you can stand to live with in your classroom for the upcoming year. If you like it, the kids will certainly like it.
chrissiecraft Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2011 7:47:54 PM(UTC)
chrissiecraft

no its def. sharpie and dry erase cleaner on laminate been doing it for years
 1 user thanked chrissiecraft for this useful post.
AllisonMoroz on 7/13/2011(UTC)
AllisonMoroz Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:37:31 PM(UTC)
AllisonMoroz

BigGrin Thanks for all of your responses! I had been toying with the Monkey theme the past couple of days too. I think I may go with that one! Thanks for the phrase starters...."Wild about.....Going bananas for....." They were all great. When it comes to cartridges I don't have (3.....) since I just started so it seems fair to go and purchase one for this. I will take a look at the critter one (since we are doing needs of plants and animals and small crawling and flying things it seems appropriate too!) Monkeys is good too since we will be studying the needs of animals. ;-) And since they live in small communities called a "troop" that seems appropriate for my SMALL rural community class of 10! Thanks to all! ;-)

And yes.....sharpies do work with dry erase marker cleaner on laminate! ;-) Been doing it for a few years too! Works like a charm!

Time to go and have some fun with my Cricut!

Allison
Cricut4theclassroom Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:33:18 PM(UTC)
Cricut4theclassroom

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AllisonMoroz Go to Quoted Post
BigGrin Thanks for all of your responses! I had been toying with the Monkey theme the past couple of days too. I think I may go with that one! Thanks for the phrase starters...."Wild about.....Going bananas for....." They were all great. When it comes to cartridges I don't have (3.....) since I just started so it seems fair to go and purchase one for this. I will take a look at the critter one (since we are doing needs of plants and animals and small crawling and flying things it seems appropriate too!) Monkeys is good too since we will be studying the needs of animals. ;-) And since they live in small communities called a "troop" that seems appropriate for my SMALL rural community class of 10! Thanks to all! ;-)

And yes.....sharpies do work with dry erase marker cleaner on laminate! ;-) Been doing it for a few years too! Works like a charm!

Time to go and have some fun with my Cricut!

Allison

Animal kingdom is another great one! They have monkeys and bananas a friend of mine is borrowing mine right now for her monkey themed classroom.
Elizabeth Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, July 15, 2011 9:31:28 AM(UTC)
Elizabeth

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Since you are teaching some First graders, you might consider an under the sea theme. Like school of fish, also you could use the Classmates Ocean of Words cart. for reading manipulatives and there are some great decorations. If you use any of the 4 Blocks products at your school the word wall posters for 2nd grade are ocean themed too. Another option that would tie into your bug unit is the Garden of Words cart.
Trish S Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, September 09, 2011 7:24:30 AM(UTC)
Trish S

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi!
I've known teachers who also use nail polish remover to remove markers from laminated pieces. I used Animal Kingdom and Everyday Paper Dolls for my classroom last year. I had many different animals cut out with a boy and a girl dressed in a safari outfit and it said "wild about reading." I've had to move rooms and share a space this year so I need to come up with a new theme. I teach reading to small groups. Good luck!