Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

LadybugJett Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 06, 2011 1:45:04 PM(UTC)
LadybugJett

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I have really enjoyed everyones ideas on this board. I used to teach secondary, and I will be teaching 2nd grade this year. I need ideas for a theme. My name is Mrs. Jett. Also, what are some basic posters, bulletin boards, etc. that I should have for a 2nd grade classroom. I'm worried that with my secondary experience I won't be as cutesy, etc. And, I don't want to forget something important. Thanks for the help.

TRice Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 06, 2011 3:54:32 PM(UTC)
TRice

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Congrats! Second grade is great. You can really make anything into a theme. Monkeys (which you could do "Welcome to Mrs. Jett's Jungle!") and frogs seem really popular. Here are some others I've seen before too:
*bees/insects
*penguins
*teamwork
*gardens/growing
*space
*western
*feet
*race cars
*beach

I also saw someone with a really cool Hollywood theme on their blog today. I've done dogs (my favorite animal) and bears (to match the school mascot) in the past.

As far as posters and bulletin boards you might want character education, class rules/procedures and an alphabet for sure. I've always had a word wall too. You might also think about a bulletin board for student goals (reading or math facts?) and behavior.

Can't wait to hear what you choose and don't be afraid to come back and ask for more advice once you've chosen something :)

Edited by user Saturday, August 06, 2011 3:58:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LadybugJett Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 07, 2011 7:23:11 AM(UTC)
LadybugJett

I have decided to do a 50's theme. I bought some fabric for my curtains last week that is light blue with polka dots, so I tried to think of a theme that went with the fabric I just bought. Anyway, I wish I had thought about this at the beginning of the summer. I have so much to do. I just ordered the Nifty Fifties cartridge.

Outside my room, I want a sign that looks like a 50's Drive In.

For my rules, I'm planning on "Space Alien Invasion" with flying saucers coming down to earth each time the child gets a warning. Anyone know of a cart with flying saucers?

Schedule: Rocking Around the Clock

Birthdays: I can't decide to do ice cream sodas, soft serve ice cream cones, or just cupcakes with their names and birthday's on it.

Helpers: Sock Hop Helpers with each child's name on saddle shoes, converse, or socks.

Math progress: using the rocketships from nifty fifties.

I've got a lot of work to do now!

TRice Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 07, 2011 12:30:06 PM(UTC)
TRice

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I love it! I'm so glad you decided on something. The nifty fifties cartridge will be perfect. You can use http://www.mycutsearch.com/ to find out which cartridges contain certain cuts. If you aren't finding what you want try typing it in a different way i.e. I typed in UFO one time then Spaceship the next and got different images. I really think the ice cream soda idea fits the 50s theme well. Be sure to post pictures of the things you make!
KellyGionti Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 07, 2011 6:45:07 PM(UTC)
KellyGionti

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I love the 50s idea! It's original and cute at the same time. There's some great stuff on the Nifty 50s cart. Perhaps you could use the juke box and then write the kids's names on either the music notes or records.
Have fun and post some pics when you're done!
I teach high school English and am trying to come up with some ideas that aren't too cutesy. Seems more fun to do cutesy though!
lvenglishteacher Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, August 08, 2011 2:43:26 AM(UTC)
lvenglishteacher

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KellyGionti Go to Quoted Post

I teach high school English and am trying to come up with some ideas that aren't too cutesy. Seems more fun to do cutesy though!

I also teach high school English and I put up quotes in vinyl. My favorite one is "The World will not end if you do not get an education; it will simply pass you by,"

I also have "Never, never, never give up!" by Winston Churchill

Because I have a son in the Marines, I have two quotes. One says, "I may look harmless, but I raised a US Marine!"

The other is a quote from President Ronald Regan. "Some people wonder all their lives if they have made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem.

Because we are the Wildcats, I just have red and black paw prints cut out of vinyl and they go around the room.
 1 user thanked lvenglishteacher for this useful post.
Teresa Turner on 9/5/2011(UTC)
SouthernVintage Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, August 08, 2011 11:50:51 AM(UTC)
SouthernVintage

United States

Was thanked: 801 time(s) in 713 post(s)
I'm not a teacher, but LOVE the theme you chose. You will have so much fun with NIFTY FIFTIES (and could even use the CARS cart too). Anxious to see what you do...you do have a lot of work there!

lvenglishteacher, those are some great quotes!
KellyGionti Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, August 08, 2011 2:55:55 PM(UTC)
KellyGionti

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Great quotes! Thanks for sharing. I've been working on some things for my classroom. Will post next week when I get a few more things finished.
BCSQ Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, August 08, 2011 8:47:56 PM(UTC)
BCSQ

United States

Was thanked: 684 time(s) in 618 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LadybugJett Go to Quoted Post
I have decided to do a 50's theme. I bought some fabric for my curtains last week that is light blue with polka dots, so I tried to think of a theme that went with the fabric I just bought. Anyway, I wish I had thought about this at the beginning of the summer. I have so much to do. I just ordered the Nifty Fifties cartridge.

Outside my room, I want a sign that looks like a 50's Drive In.

For my rules, I'm planning on "Space Alien Invasion" with flying saucers coming down to earth each time the child gets a warning. Anyone know of a cart with flying saucers?

Schedule: Rocking Around the Clock

Birthdays: I can't decide to do ice cream sodas, soft serve ice cream cones, or just cupcakes with their names and birthday's on it.

Helpers: Sock Hop Helpers with each child's name on saddle shoes, converse, or socks.

Math progress: using the rocketships from nifty fifties.

I've got a lot of work to do now!

I think there is a flying saucer on the boys will be boys cart.

BoredFlower Offline
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:08:17 PM(UTC)
BoredFlower

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm a primary school teacher in the UK, I teach year 4 (age 8-9) and I'm using hoot 'n' holler for and owl theme in my classroom. I've made a tree with brown paper and used Don Juan to cut leaves, which will be our reward system (when tree full of leaves we'll have a class reward).

1 user thanked BoredFlower for this useful post.
Teresa Turner on 9/5/2011(UTC)
LadybugJett Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 9:46:30 PM(UTC)
LadybugJett

Here is a start to the pictures of my room. Hopefully I'll post more tomorrow. http://www.straw-bearie.blogspot.com/
lvenglishteacher Offline
#12 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 12:15:37 PM(UTC)
lvenglishteacher

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LadybugJett Go to Quoted Post
Here is a start to the pictures of my room. Hopefully I'll post more tomorrow. http://www.straw-bearie.blogspot.com/

Looks great...I am so glad I teach high school....there is no way I would have the patience to do all that work and work with little kids. Give me teenagers any day of the week! Seriously, your room looks cute. I just got into my "new" room, and one of the walls is olive green, yech. I might have to paint it a different color, but I am running out of time. Good luck on your upcoming school year! I'll take pictures of my room and post when I can.
LadybugJett Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 2:52:54 PM(UTC)
LadybugJett

I've update my blog again. I have a cool "drive in" sign outside my door, rockets for a math bulletin board, and other ideas. Check it out http://www.straw-bearie.blogspot.com

Edited by user Sunday, September 04, 2011 6:22:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LadybugJett attached the following image(s):
helpers.jpg
LadybugJett Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 6:26:27 PM(UTC)
LadybugJett

Oops! I got mixed up. The picture in the last post is my latest creation. It is my helper chart. After 2 weeks of school, it's about time. Hopefully, class will go smoother this week. BigGrin

Edited by user Sunday, September 04, 2011 6:27:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified