Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

LauraCraft Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:58:08 AM(UTC)
LauraCraft

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have been wanting to try and create a cake in a box for a long time. I see them on the boards and they are just stunning. Does anyone know where I can get the gypsy file for the cake? I have tried to make it free hand however it turns out a bit wonky.

Thanks for any help.
 1 user thanked LauraCraft for this useful post.
Flo on 12/28/2011(UTC)
CropingQueen Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:20:29 PM(UTC)
CropingQueen

Was thanked: 273 time(s) in 156 post(s)
I made the file in DS 3 yrs ago when I first saw the cakes in a box and wanted to make my own. Everyone was making them with a Sizzix die and I couldn't find one, it had been discontinued by that point, at least there wasn't any around here. Since I had DS I decided it was my best chance, only have one problem. About 3 months ago or so a cricuteer approached me for my file, she wanted it to be a gypsy file, so I uploaded the DS file to my gypsy, but cant get it to cut. I am uncertain if she ever did get it to work. I love my gypsy but don't like designing really intricut things on it with small details because for me the screen is just tooo small. Even with the ability to zoom in, it's a pain for me, I like to be able to see the whole image as I design. Anyway, I am in the middle of making a cake in the box tutorial with pics and written instructions for my blog that I am finally getting around to starting. I get orders for these quit regularly and since I am too lazy to redesign it on my gypsy, and I gave my george cartrigde to my aunt with the baby bug I just do it by hand. I will upload the pic of the strips I cut to glue to the underside edges of the circles and some pics of cakes I made with my DS pattern and the ones I make now by hand. They look the same to me.
By the way this is the second time I wrote all this out and added the pics, I lost the first one I did somehow, go figure.

The first 3 cakes I made with my DS file and one of the finished boxes...

My tutorial pic for the cake in a box I am making for my cousins wedding to put non my blog when it's finished

the cake in a box I made last weekend for a large group to sign there are 2 tags in each pocket on the flaps

I hope this helps
 9 users thanked CropingQueen for this useful post.
LauraCraft on 9/1/2011(UTC), WonderWoman on 9/1/2011(UTC), cricaholic on 9/1/2011(UTC), RuthPearson on 9/13/2011(UTC), IanthieStrachan on 10/21/2011(UTC), *****Cricuteer on 10/30/2011(UTC), hazjo on 12/8/2011(UTC), JackieRussett on 12/12/2011(UTC), mhjudge67 on 1/9/2012(UTC)
LauraCraft Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 6:13:19 AM(UTC)
LauraCraft

Well hello neighbour!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post all the details and photos. I really appreciate it. Your work is just beautiful. I will attempt one of these boxes very soon. I look forward to your blog!
CropingQueen Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 8:38:25 AM(UTC)
CropingQueen

Hi again, ty for your kind comments about my cakes, I appreciate it. Well, when I rewrote my post to you I forgot the most important details, the sizes might help ehhhh!!! LOL SS anyway here they are

I use SB dies when I cut by hand for the circles but they are approx. 3.25, 2.75 and 2.5 inches or whatever size you want your cake layers to be and depending on the size of you box. Mine are usually 4" squares, and I use a 4" doily for under the cake. Plus I sometimes use an accent colour under the doily so you can see the colour coming through.
The stripe that you glue to the cirlces right along the very edge are 1.25" wide, scored at 1/4" and then little triangles cut out all along. I just cut the three strips from an 8.5 by 11 strip length wise and use the rest of the sheet for the 3 circles. For my tutorial I did cut them to the right sizes to glue one, but I usually just glue on till I am getting to the end, then cut it off so that it will be tucked inside, and I trim off the triangles that will be tucked inside or it give u an uneven spot, I am not into imperfections, LOL The flowers going up the two sides cover up the joint on the one side. There are sooo many awesome ways to dress up your cakes, its so much fun. I hope this helps you even more, kinda left you in the dark one that one didn't I lol, I went to bed and realized what I did so as soon as I had time this morning I came here to redeem myself, LOL!!!
I look forward to you checking out my blog when I get it up and running. I opened a crafty email today and while clicking on links and stuff I discovered a lady whose website is almost identical to mine, back to the drawing board, I don't want anybody thinking I copied there ideas or layouts or what not.
Please pm me or feel free to email me at cinpot@msn.com and show me your "cake in box" creations, I'd love to see them.
Have a great day and happy crafting!!!
 2 users thanked CropingQueen for this useful post.
cricaholic on 9/1/2011(UTC), mhjudge67 on 1/9/2012(UTC)
CropingQueen Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 8:58:53 AM(UTC)
CropingQueen

OMG....I just looked at your location after re reading your reply and calling me neighbour, I wondered hmmmm how close is she. What a nice surprise I got, I almost jumped outta my seat I was so excited. I'm in Brantford neighbour. Most of the time I don't pay attention because almost everybody I meet on here (my computer)either lives across the border or on another continent, LOL!!! Since I don't have my passport and am terrified to fly I won't be meeting them someday unless things change.
My aunt that I gave the baby bug to lives in T.O. on The Esplanade. She'll be here for the long wkend but isn't coming here from T.O. her and her hubby are finishing up their summer Vaca here. She isn't a huge scrapbooker/card maker but she works a lot so it's just a matter of time restraints.
Have you found Ms. Mara yet? she lives close to you, around Barrie area. She's not on here as much anymore, she has a blog now. I'm actually not here often either, I am usually working on orders for people, mostly my sister, lol! I pop in every few weeks and look around to see what's up and found your ? about the gypsy file, glad I did. Nice to unofficially meet you, and hope we can get together sometime.
Thank you for the smile I am wearing now, you just made my day!

Edited by user Thursday, September 01, 2011 9:07:55 AM(UTC)  | Reason: add a line of text

cricaholic Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 1:45:26 PM(UTC)
cricaholic

Was thanked: 1198 time(s) in 681 post(s)
Wub WOW! CropingQueen!!! Your cakes are GORGEOUS!!!!
Thanks for the info, I'm going to try and do this on my gypsy!!
LauraCraft Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 01, 2011 3:15:06 PM(UTC)
LauraCraft

Hi Cropping Queen,

I too thought it was a wonderful coincidence that we are both from Ontario when you responded to my question. It is true, most crafty cyber friends are in the US or across the pond. Nice to see some crafters from the same province. Very nice to almost meet you as well! I have seen many of your posts, and you are very talented.

I truly appreciate you coming back to post the sizes, I was trying to make rough calculations based on the cutting mat your cake pieces are on, however the rough sizes is so much easier to work with! You are very kind to spend the time to post in such detail, I am sure many will try your tutorial out. Hey cricaholic, keep us posted on how your Gypsy file turns out!

I hope to try and re-create this on my Gypsy as well. I leave for vacation on Sunday, but I hope to at least start creating the file.

Your aunt does not live very far at all, I live in the former Etobicoke area of Toronto. I have not heard of Ms. Mara, do you have a blog address for her? Would love to check it out. Oh what a bummer that you have to start your blog design from scratch. Keep us posted when you are up and running so I can swing by and take a peak at your creations.

Thanks again for the tutorial. If I manage to get a box done before I go on vacation I will let you know!

Laura

firozk7a217b39 Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:21:44 PM(UTC)
firozk7a217b39

I love your cake & the cake box! It is beautiful! Do you happen to have a cu file for a tea cup box? Thanks Fatema
Jus1LB Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:12:11 PM(UTC)
Jus1LB

This is the Cutest Box yet? Where can I get the Gypsy File or the Design Studio File? This is the perfect gift for a Bridal shower... Thanx for all your help.
firozk7a217b39 Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 9:49:10 PM(UTC)
firozk7a217b39

Hi again,

What is your blog name?