Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Kimberly Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:45:20 PM(UTC)
Kimberly

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
is there a difference between the two besides ccr being an online only program?
Olivia'sNana Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:02:07 AM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 910 time(s) in 444 post(s)
from a faithful ds user - until about a week ago, there is much much much much improvement over ds. I have said and truly believed I would never use ccr, but i have to tell you, i am lovin it. And when they get the bugs worked out, it will get even better. I only have an expression and have used ccr all week long with very little problems, mostly to do with the learning curve. If you have used ds before or gypsy, the learning curve is not so bad, if you have never used a design program with your cricut, it might be a little more frustruating in the beginning but well worth the effort to try it.

The big improvements over ds that I absolutely love is the grouping/ungrouping, text box for using fonts and the way it welds is perfect and so easy. The way you can color code each element and the mat layers makes using multiple papers and laying out on your mat so much easier and the way you can choose to see or hide the mat layers. Mmm, lets see what else, it may just be my imagination, but I honestly think my e cuts much cleaner than it did with ds.

oh i almost forgot - the hiding contours is sooooo easy. you don't have to click and hide, click and hide...... each element. you just click, click,click.... and it hides them all at once.

fyi - i never got an invite to be a tester, just decided a few days ago just for the heck of it, I would try to get in. It let me in, got my e firmware updated and haven't touched ds since.

1 user thanked Olivia'sNana for this useful post.
Kimberly on 9/21/2011(UTC)
Kimberly Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:18:08 PM(UTC)
Kimberly

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thanks very much. I saw the ds on sale at cricut machine.com but wasnt sure if I should get it because I am able to get into ccr. I think I will stay with ccr!
Olivia'sNana Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:38:25 PM(UTC)
Olivia'sNana

Was thanked: 910 time(s) in 444 post(s)
I will not get rid of my ds because I do like to take it places where internet is not available, namely the lake. I guess it remains to be seen how well the ccr will work when everyone starts using it. So far I have not had any problems that has anything to do with the internet being slow or what have you but I certainly don't know all the techy stuff about that. If it keeps working like it is for me now, I will only use ds when and where internet access is not available. I can tell you for sure that I would not use my e at all without a design program and I know I don't want the gypsy because it is too small.

Now I am just trying to get the nerve to hook up my friends imagine that is at my house and has never been used in the year that she has had it because of the lack of design program capability she thought that it was supposed to have with her gypsy. I just don't want to mess up a good thing and I fear that hooking up the imagine may cause everything to go hay wire.
love2scrap Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:54:02 PM(UTC)
love2scrap

Australia

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 27 post(s)
I have had DS for about a year, loaded it on my laptop had a bit of a play, but have never used it to design or cut, mainly because I was too afraid to update my expression and because it just looked too confusing. So last weekend I downloaded CCR, updated my expression and I have to say I am loving it. I found the program so easy to use and straightforward. I have used the mat layers and cut out Disney characters with all there layers, I have joined borders and done their shadows to match. It is so easy. I have looked a number of times since at the DS since and have now decided that I am not even going to bother to learn it. I can do the basics on it, but it just doesn't seem to be as easy to use as CCR. My biggest gripe with DS is that it takes so long to load.

I also agree that my expression does appear to be cutting much better after the CCR updates. I found that the layers on the Disney characters were much cleaner.
CricketCMV Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:07:25 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 8141 time(s) in 4768 post(s)
I feel the same as the OPs; and, while I never had all that much trouble before CCR with my EXPRESSION getting mostly clean cuts, I could certainly tell right away there was more precision and better cuts by using CCR.

I have never used DS myself, as I didn't have capacity on either of my computers to use it. Now, I do have, but I am waiting to see if CCR "flies"; if it does, I feel CCR does more than DS does. Anyway, there were always the posts about people wanting PC to update DS ever since I started here in 2008 and they never got many upgrades in all this time.

Char
LindaDavis1 Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2011 5:19:12 PM(UTC)
LindaDavis1

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I am learning CCR. And I like the program. There have been a time or two where I was not able to get in, something about a "bridge error." There is a lot about this program I do not know and I'm anxious to see how far PC is going to take it. I have had CDS for a couple of years and CDS will be useful if at a crop and WiFi is not available.
 1 user thanked LindaDavis1 for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 9/23/2011(UTC)
BuggyMcBuggy Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 6:44:21 PM(UTC)
BuggyMcBuggy

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I am hoping that PC continues to improve/support Design Studio. High speed broadband does not reach into all corners of the world, not even in all corners of the U.S! Cable has not come down our road in 30 years, and I doubt that it will in the next 30, and we are too far out for DSL; so the best I can do is satellite internet- which CCR does not support. I can design, but not cut. I can cut at work (I'm a teacher) and I have set up the E at work for people to use CCR, but I am not going to do my personal crafting at work...I already spend enough time there BigGrin.
CricketCMV Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 7:58:40 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Originally Posted by: BuggyMcBuggy Go to Quoted Post
I am hoping that PC continues to improve/support Design Studio. High speed broadband does not reach into all corners of the world, not even in all corners of the U.S! Cable has not come down our road in 30 years, and I doubt that it will in the next 30, and we are too far out for DSL; so the best I can do is satellite internet- which CCR does not support. I can design, but not cut. I can cut at work (I'm a teacher) and I have set up the E at work for people to use CCR, but I am not going to do my personal crafting at work...I already spend enough time there BigGrin.

I hate to say this, but I don't think PC has any interest in updating CDS. In the three+ years I've been here, OPs have begged for updates for CDS to do certain things. I honestly don't believe they ever got those issues worked out. I think that's why they went another route, because for some reason they may be able to address the issues they can't get worked out in CDS through CCR? JMHO.

Does anyone else have anything to say about this? Maybe I have it all wrong.

Char
BuggyMcBuggy Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, September 30, 2011 2:14:38 PM(UTC)
BuggyMcBuggy

Originally Posted by: CricketCMV Go to Quoted Post
I hate to say this, but I don't think PC has any interest in updating CDS. In the three+ years I've been here, OPs have begged for updates for CDS to do certain things. I honestly don't believe they ever got those issues worked out. I think that's why they went another route, because for some reason they may be able to address the issues they can't get worked out in CDS through CCR? JMHO.

Does anyone else have anything to say about this? Maybe I have it all wrong.

Char

No - I realize that DS is a fish dead in the water. Personally I think it's a crock that they couldn't fix/change DS to be a better program, because the third-party vendors were certainly able to create viable products. They should have taken a page from MicroSoft's early history and bought competing technology instead of killing it, to produce profit for themselves.

Edited by user Saturday, October 01, 2011 9:58:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

CricketCMV Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:13:52 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

No - I realize that DS is a fish dead in the water. Personally I think it's a crock that they couldn't fix/change DS to be a better program, because the third-party vendors were certainly able to create viable products. They should have taken a page from MicroSoft's early history and bought competing technology instead of killing it, to produce profit for themselves.

I really don't want it to seem like I'm BAD MOUTHING CDS; there have been many very happy CDS users with what all the application can do right now and from the beginning. I'm sure there were some updates after CDS first came out and they helped those who were already using it. AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, some of the beautiful creations that have come from the CDS users are phenomenal. I mean, there are some brilliant, beautiful creations. If it's possible, those of you who have never seen those creations, you might go to the old MB (can we still do that) and go to the forum for CDS. You'll see exactly what I mean.

All I'm trying to say about CDS is that there were some improvements that some of the users wanted; they never materialized. That doesn't mean it's a bad program by any means. I, myself, couldn't use it because my old computer never had the right specifications (nor did my laptop) to use it. PC may not have been able to make those improvements to CDS and that might be why they never materialized. I wouldn't be BITTER (if I had bought and paid for it two years ago) now that CCR is here, because I would have had two years' worth of fun/creativity/etc. out of it BEFORE CCR came along this year. Otherwise, that would have been two years of less enjoyment from something I was willing to pay for. We don't have to pay for CCR; it's FREE.

With CCR (it seems to me, anyway), they are able to address some of those things that the CDS users were wanting in CDS. Just because other companies have improved on their programs doesn't necessarily mean PC needed to take lessons from anyone. If we don't like what they're putting out, we don't have to buy it. Everyone has the right to go to other companies to get what they want.

Truthfully, I would have loved to have CDS two years ago. I didn't want to upgrade my computers to support it, nor did I have the money to buy a new computer to support it; now, there is CCR and I'm so happy that I can use it on my old computer. Now, I have a new computer, but I don't plan to use it on the new one unless something happens to my old one.

BOTH CDS AND CCR ARE PERFECT FOR THE DIFFERENT USERS WHO WANT EITHER ONE and we surely know what we're getting before we buy it (or, maybe we need to learn the caveat "Let the Buyer Beware"). It's up to us to research what we want and get what we want.

Char

Edited by user Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:22:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ScrapCat Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, October 02, 2011 6:28:31 PM(UTC)
ScrapCat

United States

Was thanked: 1113 time(s) in 716 post(s)
I Love my DS! I've used CCR 3 times and each time got errors and wasn't able to complete my project.

What happen's if the CCR website crashes on CCR? You go to DS!!!Laugh

I'm sure CCR will be ok once (I love my DS!!!! There are so many video's out there on how to do things. I've tried CCR 3 times and each time, I got errors and wasn't able to complete my projectif) they get all the bugs worked out. I'm just going to wait it out and see.
BuggyMcBuggy Offline
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:03:51 PM(UTC)
BuggyMcBuggy

Originally Posted by: CricketCMV Go to Quoted Post

BOTH CDS AND CCR ARE PERFECT FOR THE DIFFERENT USERS WHO WANT EITHER ONE and we surely know what we're getting before we buy it (or, maybe we need to learn the caveat "Let the Buyer Beware"). It's up to us to research what we want and get what we want.

Char

I agree Char, that's why I refused to buy any mechanical die system,such as Quickutz, or AccuCut because I wanted more and knew that if I held out, an afforable electronic option would eventually present itself. I had been checking out Pazzles for a long time, but couldn't justify the cost, Cricut filled the need and DS made it even better. I would love to use all the bells and whistles of CCR, but I can only design on it. Since I have satellite internet, I can not cut with it, broadband will never be available where I live.
I just think that they missed the bus by not snapping up and integrating the 3rd party software - the would have made a bundle!
Now if they could get DS to cut CCR projects then Love Love Love ....pipe dream there though...two entirely different platforms.
Narelle Offline
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 8:14:04 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7878 time(s) in 3689 post(s)
I agree Char, that's why I refused to buy any mechanical die system,such as Quickutz, or AccuCut because I wanted more and knew that if I held out, an afforable electronic option would eventually present itself. I had been checking out Pazzles for a long time, but couldn't justify the cost, Cricut filled the need and DS made it even better. I would love to use all the bells and whistles of CCR, but I can only design on it. Since I have satellite internet, I can not cut with it, broadband will never be available where I live.
I just think that they missed the bus by not snapping up and integrating the 3rd party software - the would have made a bundle!
Now if they could get DS to cut CCR projects then Love Love Love ....pipe dream there though...two entirely different platforms.

As you can design with it you can export the CCR file as a gypsy file, save it to your computer then open it in DS. BigGrin
jordie_tart Offline
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2011 2:27:26 AM(UTC)
jordie_tart

CCR would be great if you could get past the bridge application error.

Only managed to log on once .... fails all other times (v disappointing)

so at least I can rely on DS :)
Kut-n-Print Offline
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2011 4:42:05 PM(UTC)
Kut-n-Print

Was thanked: 904 time(s) in 437 post(s)
CCR is not up to the standards of modern graphics programs, but it is a WHOLE lot closer than CDS (More standard interface/less clunky/more features). And since CCR is free and you don't have to link your cartridges that is a lot to get excited about.

Things CCR can do that CDS can't:
-work on a Mac
-hide contour without "carrying the baggage"
-cut and paste (CDS only copies and pastes)
-flip vertical
-true grouping
-change the font of a text block
-change stacking order of objects on a layer
-view all the images that match your search term at once
-autofill a specified area
-fill shapes on the same layer with different colors
-autopreview of welding
-work with an Imagine (not sure about E2)

Things CDS can do that CCR can't:
-design offline
-cut offline
-run on a netbook (some of them anyway)
 1 user thanked Kut-n-Print for this useful post.
CricketCMV on 10/5/2011(UTC)
CricketCMV Offline
#17 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2011 4:50:29 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

You brought up some very good points, Kut-n-Print! I didn't know the differences, since I've never used CDS. I just know from everything I've learned since 2008 that CCR is a "cut above" CDS in terms of what it can/cannot do and you pointed a lot of things out here.

Again, I know many of our Circlets absolutely LOVE their CDS--and they should! It has served them very well and will continue to serve them well, as everyone doesn't have the desire to want to use CCR as some of us who have never gotten to experience CDS.

Char