Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

BlissfulBags Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 7:11:39 AM(UTC)
BlissfulBags

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
My Expression is on its last legs...I saw a Cake machine at Joann's on clearance for $125. I have NO intention of every using the machine for cake decorating. I'd much rather pay someone to make my cakes. Can the machine be used for paper?

TIA,
Jennifer
AndreaSherman Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 7:41:33 AM(UTC)
AndreaSherman

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I have heard of people removing the rollers to make an expression work as a cake machine, so it would lead me to believe that you need those rollers to bring in the paper. I would check youtube to see if anyone has explained how to make a cake cut paper. Have you looked at Walmart, they have been clearancing out the Cricut around here and they have been $125 for the expression. Also, I purchased my Expression on ebay and got a good deal, and Provocraft allowed me to register it. HTH.
 1 user thanked AndreaSherman for this useful post.
Jennifer on 9/26/2011(UTC)
CrafteerMisadventures Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 10:13:51 AM(UTC)
CrafteerMisadventures

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 528 time(s) in 373 post(s)
In more than one occasion I have used my cake to cut paper. You just have to buy the green housing blade or the deep housing blade to use it. They sell them at cricut.com. You also need the original cutting mats, since the cake cutting mats are not sticky.

You should have no problem.
 1 user thanked CrafteerMisadventures for this useful post.
Barefoot on 7/9/2014(UTC)
AndreaSherman Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 6:07:16 PM(UTC)
AndreaSherman

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 24 post(s)
So, you don't need those rollers along that metal bar to pull the paper in? Too cool! Thanks for sharing that info!
#5 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 6:59:04 PM(UTC)
CrafteerMisadventures

United States

Originally Posted by: AndreaSherman Go to Quoted Post
So, you don't need those rollers along that metal bar to pull the paper in? Too cool! Thanks for sharing that info!

Nope! That's what's awesome! I've cut with no problem, since my cake is my "portable" one. You do have to clean and dry the rollers after you use w food so that it doesn't transfer to the paper, but if your only going to use for crafting, you shouldn't have a problem.
littlehen Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2011 4:27:14 AM(UTC)
littlehen

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AliciaPettus Go to Quoted Post
In more than one occasion I have used my cake to cut paper. You just have to buy the green housing blade or the deep housing blade to use it. They sell them at cricut.com. You also need the original cutting mats, since the cake cutting mats are not sticky.

You should have no problem.

This is really helpful - thanks! Can you use the deep housing blade to cut regular cardstock or do you need to use the green housing blade? Thanks for any help!
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:38:24 AM(UTC)
CrafteerMisadventures

United States

You can use the deep housing blade, you just have to put it in th lower setting 1-2 depending on the quality and thickness just like anything else. You would have a little difficulty with the vellums and very thin pieces of paper.

Now if you buy the cricut cake JUST for crafting, you CAN use the blade it comes with for yardstick. You just can't use it later for food, safely. and the blade setting is not movable, the housing doesn't permit you to move the blade up or down, it's only one setting.

Hope this helps
 1 user thanked CrafteerMisadventures for this useful post.
littlehen on 10/5/2011(UTC)
littlehen Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2011 6:55:26 AM(UTC)
littlehen

You can use the deep housing blade, you just have to put it in th lower setting 1-2 depending on the quality and thickness just like anything else. You would have a little difficulty with the vellums and very thin pieces of paper.

Now if you buy the cricut cake JUST for crafting, you CAN use the blade it comes with for yardstick. You just can't use it later for food, safely. and the blade setting is not movable, the housing doesn't permit you to move the blade up or down, it's only one setting.

Hope this helps

This is really helpful - thank you! I saw that Amazon was selling the Cricut Cake for $104 and I was thinking of maybe getting it for my son's nursery school for them to use for crafting. I just didn't want to do it if it would end up being very makeshift for them.

I just want to make sure I understand: the deep cut blade would be fine at the lower setting except for thinner papers and the blade that comes with the Cricut Cake would be ok for all paper if they were only going to use it for crafting? I looked into whether I can buy the green housing that's in my Expression but the only place I could see it for sale was Cricut.com and it says it was out of stock. Thanks again for your help!
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2011 1:20:11 PM(UTC)
CrafteerMisadventures

United States

Yes, that's correct. Vellum and similar paper and material might tear even at the lowest setting the deep housing blade. Thebblade that comes w the cake might work if you put the speed and pressure at the lowest.

Also, the mat that comes w the cake is not sticky.

Other than that, it works great w construcction paper and card stock.

I think that's awesome that you want to donate it to your sons school. We did a cake drive (funny enough) to buy 3 expressions for my eldest son's school. And this fall festival we are doing a cupcake sale to buy them more cartridges.
littlehen Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:51:29 PM(UTC)
littlehen

Yes, that's correct. Vellum and similar paper and material might tear even at the lowest setting the deep housing blade. Thebblade that comes w the cake might work if you put the speed and pressure at the lowest.

Also, the mat that comes w the cake is not sticky.

Other than that, it works great w construcction paper and card stock.

I think that's awesome that you want to donate it to your sons school. We did a cake drive (funny enough) to buy 3 expressions for my eldest son's school. And this fall festival we are doing a cupcake sale to buy them more cartridges.

Thank you so much for all the help! That's great that your son's school would have fundraisers for circuits - it is so costly for the schools to afford but seems like schools would get so much use out of them. Thanks again!
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 11:20:30 AM(UTC)
CrafteerMisadventures

United States

Btt --- info on using the cake for cutting paper
cyimbugbitten Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:26:53 PM(UTC)
cyimbugbitten

United States

Was thanked: 465 time(s) in 438 post(s)
I'm just gonna copy and paste my response to the thread I just posted on. This was brought up on the cricut chat and I jumped on it. Wink

Cricut.com has them for sale right now...ends tonite, I believe. I ordered one last nite as a backup for my E. If I remember right, I paid $25-$30 just for shipping when I purchased my original E and now you can get free shipping. Check out this link...

http://www.cricutmachine.com/specials.php?page=3

HTH!

Carol
SabineMiller Offline
#13 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2011 9:33:53 AM(UTC)
SabineMiller

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If your expression is on its last leg, you can take your blade housing from that machine and use it in the cake machine, also keep the cord in case you need it for future machines, then you don't have to spend another $30.00 on a new housing. Cricut.com has the cake machine for 49.99 right now. I am thinking about getting it as it is a extremely good value.
Happy Thanksgiving all!!
Gottascrap Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:43:41 AM(UTC)
Gottascrap

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 47 post(s)
If you use the regular housing blade instead of the deep housing, can you then cut the thinner papers and velum?
#15 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2011 10:44:54 AM(UTC)
CrafteerMisadventures

United States

The one that comes with the cake? If you change the blade to a normal blade and decrease the speed and pressure, you should be able to do it. I haven't tested it out, but I'm pretty sure it'll work.
mjonson36e8bf098f Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 02, 2012 11:42:37 AM(UTC)
mjonson36e8bf098f

Do you need to take the rollers out of the Cricut Cake in order for it to take in paper to cut ?? Can you leave the rollers on the Cake? Haven't tried anything with mine, was given to me and don't want to do anything wrong!! Thanks MichelleFlapper
Joani Offline
#17 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:31:15 PM(UTC)
Joani

omgoodness! This is just what I came on line for. My DD purchased the cake for me for Christmas and I need to change the blade. I tried the one from my old machine (the original 1st machine that came out, yes I said old) and I was not sure, I was afraid to try it.

After seeing this thread I think I will try. Thank goodness for this thread. Thank goodness for this forum!BigGrin
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:00:32 PM(UTC)
CrafteerMisadventures

United States

Originally Posted by: mjonson36e8bf098f Go to Quoted Post
Do you need to take the rollers out of the Cricut Cake in order for it to take in paper to cut ?? Can you leave the rollers on the Cake? Haven't tried anything with mine, was given to me and don't want to do anything wrong!! Thanks MichelleFlapper

You don't need to change anything but the blade. And that's if you want adjustable heights. You can use the blade it comes in with no problem, just don't use it for edible items after you use it for paper.
rmaxwellcot12a5eb0d76 Offline
#19 Posted : Monday, May 12, 2014 1:36:44 PM(UTC)
rmaxwellcot12a5eb0d76

Blushing with the risk of sounding redundant, I got a Cricut Cake for Christmas and after months of calling and asking all the people at all the craft stores I finally found out that I could use it for plain paper scrapbooking, without paying $30 for the original housing and blade. But now the big question..... can I use regular cartridge blade replacements in my cake cartridge?

Edited by user Monday, May 12, 2014 1:37:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified