Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

AprilJ Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 4:04:34 PM(UTC)
AprilJ

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I was so excited to buy my Yudu and start using it. I had been researching it for weeks, watching YouTube videos on how to use it, looking for blogs, etc. so I thought I was so ready to begin!

I followed the instructions EXACTLY, printed my image on the right side of the laminate sheet, made sure my screen was dry after applying my emulsion sheet, and burned my image.... NOTHING happened. Mad

So I did it again, same process... no image on the screen still Angry

Did it once more (after watching the DVD it came with twice) and decided that maybe my image was not dark enough, colored in the sheet with sharpie... and still no image burned on my screen.... you can tell it tried to burn because it turned a very faint shade of green but when I tried washing the screen... nothing Cursing

Can anyone help before I keep wasting $10 a sheet for emulsion? Crying

Thanks!

starcommander Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 4:10:48 PM(UTC)
starcommander

Was thanked: 160 time(s) in 93 post(s)
Hi April,
I've had my machine for a couple of months. I tried one emulsion sheet and it worked okay, but personally I've had better luck with the liquid emulsion. You can get it in a kit, Diazo Speedball. It's easy to mix and apply and I've had success every time. One bottle does many, many screens/shirts. I haven't even tried to use the extra emulsion sheet that came with my machine....I'm hooked on the liquid emulsion. Sorry I couldn't answer your question. There are some more seasoned users on here that may chime in as to what's going on with the emulsion sheets.
Patty
 1 user thanked starcommander for this useful post.
AprilJ on 9/27/2011(UTC)
blackbearblackbear Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 4:43:42 PM(UTC)
blackbearblackbear

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Did you peel the cover off of the emulsion sheet after it was dry?
 1 user thanked blackbearblackbear for this useful post.
AprilJ on 9/27/2011(UTC)
CraftyNetta Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, September 26, 2011 10:34:12 PM(UTC)
CraftyNetta

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 62 post(s)
What side of the screen are you burnong your image on? Also, are you putting a heavy object on your Yudu platen when exposing the the emulsion?
 1 user thanked CraftyNetta for this useful post.
AprilJ on 9/27/2011(UTC)
AprilJ Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:28:02 AM(UTC)
AprilJ

@starcommander: Where might I purchase some liquid emulsion?

@blackbearblackbear: Yes I followed the instructions EXACTLY.

@CraftyNetta: I burned it on the side the instructional video said (I don't remember but I want to say the raised corner side up). I did put a heavy object on my planten, I even did it in the dark (it was night time and I turned off all the lights).

That is why I am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong. I emailed customer service and they told me to call the next time I was using the Yudu. I think I will do that, but I don't want to waste more money on un-usable product. Thanks for all your help!!!
Gina B Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:13:59 AM(UTC)
Gina B

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
the image you using..........is it black? and make sure the screen is on its flat side (back) and are you doing this in a dimmed light area. Ive used mine 3 times no problem except i was so excited to use it i tried drying it with the blowdryer that i melted my screen...............
Gina B Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:17:15 AM(UTC)
Gina B

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Just reread it......if you are seeing a faint green then wet the screen let it set for a minute then use a sprayer to remove the green u probably not cleaning off the unexposed emulsion.........hth!
 1 user thanked Gina B for this useful post.
AprilJ on 9/27/2011(UTC)
AprilJ Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:52:06 AM(UTC)
AprilJ

I think the first two times the image was not dark enough. I will try letting it set for a minute this time... Thank you! :)
AprilJ Offline
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:53:38 AM(UTC)
AprilJ

I did see on a gal's blog that she only burns the image for 5-6 minutes instead of what the machine is set for. Does everyone use the factory settings or do you burn it for less time?
Princessaam Offline
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:32:58 AM(UTC)
Princessaam

Was thanked: 289 time(s) in 196 post(s)
Look through the FAQs they will help as well.

Make sure your image is black black... like hold it up to the light and be sure it is SOLID and NO LIGHT gets through.

Next... for a more detailed image, burn 6 minutes... less detailed... 8.

Next... rinse BOTH sides of your screen after burning. You may not see a HUGE difference in color. And I like to take a soft sponger nad just lightly wipe across the screen as I'm rinsing... it helps.

With all that said... I don't use sheets... I use liquid. I use the Speedball Diazo set, you cna get it at M's or Dharmatrading.com( love them!! they also sell better inks than the Yudu inks)

~M
sFad5
 2 users thanked Princessaam for this useful post.
AprilJ on 9/27/2011(UTC), NewfyMom on 9/27/2011(UTC)
starcommander Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:58:23 PM(UTC)
starcommander

Was thanked: 160 time(s) in 93 post(s)
I get mine at either H L or M's. I have also seen it on Amazon. I put it in a ketchup bottle ( red) and store it in the fridge. One bottle, and I've burned ten screens with a good two inches still left in the bottle. I squirt some along one end of my screen and then use a window squeegee to spread it along both sides of the screen. I then dry it with my hair dryer, before exposing it with the yudu. I use the standard preset time. As mentioned earlier, I have had great success with the liquid emulsion! Good luck!
Patty
 1 user thanked starcommander for this useful post.
AprilJ on 9/28/2011(UTC)
AprilJ Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:36:48 AM(UTC)
AprilJ

Thank you all (:
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com Offline
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:07:04 PM(UTC)
Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 12571 time(s) in 5048 post(s)
April,

Don't give up!

These are dumb questions but gotta ask:
Was the emulsion applied smoothly to the screen?
Once your emulsion was on, was it 100% bone dry before you tried to burn the image?
After you burned it (I use the factory setting everyime BTW), did you see any design at all? It is really light but apparent.
If you saw an image, did you rinse it completely out? You will see the naked screen after you rinse off the design.

I was able to burn a screen the first (and only time) I used capillary emulsion, but it was challenging. I also tried using Oracal 651 as a substitute to emulsion before I received my liquid emulsion. The liquid made all the difference in the world. I have a Yudu page on my blog with links and how-tos if you are interested: http://withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com/p/yudu.html

You will love this once you get the emulsion figured out!
Best wishes!!

1 user thanked Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com for this useful post.
AprilJ on 9/29/2011(UTC)
AprilJ Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:26:49 AM(UTC)
AprilJ

Yours was one of the blogs I read before buying the Yudu BigGrin

Yes
Once your emulsion was on, was it 100% bone dry before you tried to burn the image?Yes
After you burned it (I use the factory setting everyime BTW), did you see any design at all? It is really light but apparent. I did not see any design, I did see a very very light color change but not really... But I tried washing it anyway and it did not wash off at all.
If you saw an image, did you rinse it completely out? You will see the naked screen after you rinse off the design. I barely barely saw the outline of an image, but not really. I did try and rinse the screen anyway, but it did not work.

I will keep trying, I have one more emulsion sheet to try, then I will buy the liquid emulsion.
Beckaboodle Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:11:35 PM(UTC)
Beckaboodle

Was thanked: 578 time(s) in 280 post(s)
Liquid emulsion is where it's at! I wish my M's carried it. I'm out and have to order online Crying
 1 user thanked Beckaboodle for this useful post.
AprilJ on 10/31/2011(UTC)
#16 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 2:51:34 PM(UTC)

United States

Originally Posted by: AprilJ Go to Quoted Post
Yours was one of the blogs I read before buying the Yudu BigGrin

Yes
Once your emulsion was on, was it 100% bone dry before you tried to burn the image?Yes
After you burned it (I use the factory setting everyime BTW), did you see any design at all? It is really light but apparent. I did not see any design, I did see a very very light color change but not really... But I tried washing it anyway and it did not wash off at all.
If you saw an image, did you rinse it completely out? You will see the naked screen after you rinse off the design. I barely barely saw the outline of an image, but not really. I did try and rinse the screen anyway, but it did not work.

I will keep trying, I have one more emulsion sheet to try, then I will buy the liquid emulsion.

OK- I officially have no idea why it didn't work. If your design is small enough, you can cut the emulsion sheet in half to get one more chance.

I hate to say that because I don't want you to get so frustrated that you give up on it! I just think it's there so why not make another go at it, but I have no idea what to tell you because I just cannot figure out why it is not working!!!!! I will say that it does take a bit of effort to rinse off the design after you burn the image.

OK - if you go with the liquid, just be sure to watch the video on how to apply it-- it should be the same technique no matter where you get it. I have a link on my blog-- just listen for the zip sound. The only problem I ever had with the liquid kind is that I applied it too thick the first time. Once it dried, it was obvious what I had done so I removed it and did it again (after re-watching the video) and I listened for that zip sound to know I had it on thin enough the second time around. It works every time for me and so affordable. I did invest in a screen holder and a screen coater. It really makes it super easy to apply, but some super yudu-ers on this board have come up with cheaper ways. The way I looked at it, it added $35 to my Yudu investment so it was worth it to me.

I wish you lived closer! We would just have a Yudu party!

Please let us know when you have the AH-HA moment when it works-- I know you will figure it out!

PS- I have one more idea: when you press the sunshine button to burn the image, do you see a small bit of light? I do even when I pile weights on my frame. If you don't, I wonder if the light bulbs are working. (yes, I am desperately trying to think of what could be causing it not to burn your image.) You are pressing the sunshine button, not the light bulb button, right? (had to ask)
 1 user thanked Nadia withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com for this useful post.
watercolordaisy Offline
#17 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:25:16 PM(UTC)
watercolordaisy

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I completely messed up my first sheet of emulsion, but got it on the second try. I still have that screen and am still using it. I, however, do not like how long it takes to make and remove and how much it costs to make a screen. I also have a cricut and use it to cut out designs out of vinyl (or if you're cheap like me, contact paper) I cut the design out in reverse and put it on the back of the screen where the emulsion would go, roll with a brayer, tape off edges and pull ink as you would with an emulsion screen. This only comes in handy when wanting to use a cricut image and not a custom image with my first screen. You may also want to try scanning your image into your computer and printing it onto a printable transparency. You will get a better ink lay onto the transparency. Don't give up because once you have it down, you will love your products. I have mine sitting out right now ready to print but my 4 month old twins are kinda keeping me busy!
 1 user thanked watercolordaisy for this useful post.
AprilJ Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 1:59:53 PM(UTC)
AprilJ

Thank you all for your help! I finally got it to work! :) my problem was (drum roll please) My image was not dark enough.

I am really loving this machine... now to try glitter, flocking material, and foil (wish me luck)!

Oh, and Nadia, I wish I lived close too! I would love to have a Yudu party BigGrin
 1 user thanked AprilJ for this useful post.
#19 Posted : Thursday, November 03, 2011 5:10:13 PM(UTC)

United States

Originally Posted by: AprilJ Go to Quoted Post
Thank you all for your help! I finally got it to work! :) my problem was (drum roll please) My image was not dark enough.

I am really loving this machine... now to try glitter, flocking material, and foil (wish me luck)!

Oh, and Nadia, I wish I lived close too! I would love to have a Yudu party BigGrin

If you figure out flocking, please share. I will post my project--- I am having trouble with flocking and need some input!