Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

Vanessa Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 02, 2011 8:39:47 PM(UTC)
Vanessa

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 76 post(s)
I was saddened to learn that my friend's father passed away a few days ago. We now live quite a distance apart so I am not able to be with her during this difficult time. I wanted to make her a card so that it's more personal. This is my first sympathy card and it proved to be a challenge. My first attempt was a failure because of several things: I was trying too hard, was trying to make Saturday's mailing, and was trying to use pink (her favorite color). I scoured through stacks to find coordinating patterned paper and the one I chose ended up looking too cheery as if for a birthday card. So I called it a night and went to bed - stressed, saddened for my friend, and feeling like a failure. Yesterday I went in a completely different direction and the whole process went seamlessly. I thank God for the inspiration because it seemed to flow out and when it was done, I cried. I have never gotten emotional over a card before but these circumstances are difficult and I was crying for my dear friend. I want to share this experience with others but I will not post it on my blog out of respect for her during this difficult time. So I thought I would share this experience here with fellow crafters who undoubtedly have endured sad moments like this as well.

Card Details:
The lavender card base is 5X7. The wreath embossing is an A2 Sizzix folder from the Birds & Wreath Set. I colored in the wreath using a Rangers clear ink embossing pen (working in small sections so it wouldn't dry too fast) and then I applied green and purple Crayola chalks with Q-tips. The embossing ink sets the chalk color giving it a watercolor effect.

I cut the butterfly and cage from the Cricut Lite Bloom Cartridge at 3 1/2 inches. The black and lavender card stock came from Wal-mart in 8 1/2 x 11 sheets. The lavender satin ribbon is from a ribbon scrap pack from Paper Studios. The cream card stock is from a ream I got from Desktop Publishing supplies. The "Thinking of You" is a rub-on I had in my stash. The butterfly is embellished with Lavender Stickles and three light green adhesive gems.

I typed the sentiment in Word using Edwardian Script and printed it on a 5X7 sized sheet of cream card stock which I then trimmed down just a bit with a paper cutter so it would fit on top of the other mat layers (went 1/8 inch inward around all sides for each mat to show the layers of mats). I used a corner rounder from Paper Studios on all corners of each mat and card base before adhering everything together.

I hope the card will be a form of comfort to her and that she will know I am thinking of her and praying for her and her family.
Vanessa attached the following image(s):
PICT0145.jpg
PICT0151.jpg
PICT0152.jpg
PICT0179.jpg
kimJ Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 02, 2011 8:53:22 PM(UTC)
kimJ

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Beautiful card...I'm sure your friend will be touched by it.
 1 user thanked kimJ for this useful post.
Vanessa on 10/4/2011(UTC)
Vanessa Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 04, 2011 3:54:11 PM(UTC)
Vanessa

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 76 post(s)
Thank you Kim for the lovely comment!